Old 18-07-2003, 02:48 AM
Angela Dougherty

Default Help! Tomato blossoms dropping off!

Hi,

I have 4 tomatoes in containers and all are looking vigorous & healthy
with many blossoms. I've already eaten several Sungolds, and two of the
other plants have set fruit. I'm worried about the Brandywine. It
looks fine, but as the flowers mature, the stems dry up and they fall
off. The plant has only one fruit.

Any ideas? I'd rule out disease because of the overall health of the
plant, but what about bugs? Or is this typical of this variety?

Thanks!

Angela
Old 18-07-2003, 02:52 PM
Pat Meadows

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 18:12:47 -0700, Angela Dougherty
wrote:

Hi,

I have 4 tomatoes in containers and all are looking vigorous & healthy
with many blossoms. I've already eaten several Sungolds, and two of the
other plants have set fruit. I'm worried about the Brandywine. It
looks fine, but as the flowers mature, the stems dry up and they fall
off. The plant has only one fruit.

Any ideas? I'd rule out disease because of the overall health of the
plant, but what about bugs? Or is this typical of this variety?

I had four Brandywine tomato plants last year here in
northern PA. I got a total of TWO ripe tomatoes from the
four plants.

I think they require a longer, warmer season than we have.

Pat
Old 18-07-2003, 06:52 PM
Phaedrine Stonebridge

wrote:

Hi,

I have 4 tomatoes in containers and all are looking vigorous & healthy
with many blossoms. I've already eaten several Sungolds, and two of the
other plants have set fruit. I'm worried about the Brandywine. It
looks fine, but as the flowers mature, the stems dry up and they fall
off. The plant has only one fruit.

Any ideas? I'd rule out disease because of the overall health of the
plant, but what about bugs? Or is this typical of this variety?

I had four Brandywine tomato plants last year here in
northern PA. I got a total of TWO ripe tomatoes from the
four plants.

I think they require a longer, warmer season than we have.

Pat

We planted a couple Brandywines (I forget which one) this year to see
how they do here in Missouri. So far none have ripened. The few fruits
are massive in size (these plants are staked not caged) but are
"sectioned" as opposed to forming in one, contiguous roundy shape. I am
sure there is a name for this phenomenon but I don't know it. I recall
beefsteaks in my dad's garden that used to do that. In any case, I will
let you know how they do here in Z 5b. Of some ?50 tomato plants, I
think those and some old Romas are our only heritage tomatoes.
Old 19-07-2003, 07:22 AM
Angela Dougherty

Thanks for the input. I live in Seattle and we've been having an
unusually hot early summer. A couple of years ago a neighbor gave us a
few fabulous large, ripe Brandywines. They should grow OK here, but why
are my blossoms falling off?

Angela

In article
,

Old 19-07-2003, 05:22 PM
Emmet Cummings

Thanks for the input. I live in Seattle and we've been having an
unusually hot early summer. A couple of years ago a neighbor gave us a
few fabulous large, ripe Brandywines. They should grow OK here, but why
are my blossoms falling off?

Angela

Angela, if it's too hot, or too cold, or the soil is too rich you'll drop
blossoms.

Rob