GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Thank you Pat Kiewicz!!! (was: San Marzanos hollow?) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/37486-thank-you-pat-kiewicz-san-marzanos-hollow.html)

Phaedrine Stonebridge 19-07-2003 06:12 PM

Thank you Pat Kiewicz!!! (was: San Marzanos hollow?)

In article ,
(Pat Kiewicz) wrote:

Today we had a whopper of a storm here. Two trees down and a few of
our bean tripods. Hopefully the beans will survive. But the trees
will have to be removed. All the corn was flattened as well. I
hope it springs back up. :(

Corn won't spring back up unless it's tiny. Best get out there and
prop it up. (I have to do that sometimes.) If the corn is just
leaning, a strategically placed wad of compost might be enough to
keep it upright. Otherwise, put a stake at each end of a row and run
some twine between them, looping the twine around each cornstalk to
hold it upright. (This is a two-person job.) With blocks of corn
you can run twine in a criss-cross pattern to prop the corn up. Even
the twine-braced corn will appreciate some compost packed around the
bottom of the stalk.

I owe you bigtime! Thanks so much for that fabulous idea. We are on
our way outside right now to implement the stake & twine scenario.