Old 19-07-2003, 11:22 PM

Default Fresh horseradish

My neighbor mailed me some horseradish from his garden because I enjoy
making my own. The package took a few days to get here and the roots were
pretty hot when they arrived. They smell a little funky (but doesn't
horseradish always smell funky?), but are still firm. I've had them in the
fridge for a few days. How can I tell if they're still safe to use?

Old 20-07-2003, 06:14 AM
dstvns

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 22:15:31 GMT, wrote:

fridge for a few days. How can I tell if they're still safe to use?

It's never _safe_ to use But some people manage.

I've heard putting the root in the *freezer* is the best way to peel
it.

Dan
Old 20-07-2003, 03:02 PM
Frogleg

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 22:15:31 GMT, wrote:

My neighbor mailed me some horseradish from his garden because I enjoy
making my own. The package took a few days to get here and the roots were
pretty hot when they arrived. They smell a little funky (but doesn't
horseradish always smell funky?), but are still firm. I've had them in the
fridge for a few days. How can I tell if they're still safe to use?

Use? Plant! At least cut off a few chunks and put in a pot.
Horseradish is *very* vigorous (and invasive if put in unconfined
ground). As for eating, if's a pretty long-lasting root veg. No
expert advice by any means, but I would rinse it and refrigerate. I
don't believe *safe* is a consideration, without actual signs of decay
and/or rot. How long is a turnip "safe"?
Old 20-07-2003, 04:42 PM
Ken Anderson

wrote in message
. com...

My neighbor mailed me some horseradish from his garden because I enjoy
making my own. The package took a few days to get here...

Holy Horseradish, Batman! Houses must be pretty far apart in your neck of
the woods.

Old 31-07-2003, 04:02 PM
Rob

This is the original message poster.

Tyra finally got it right. The neighbor was a former neighbor. I
recently moved from VA to NC and couldn't find a good local source for
fresh roots, so I asked my neighbor to mail me a few from a large
patch he has in his garden.

Fortunately, I've found a vendor at a local farmers market to keep me
supplied.

Rob

Well, Ken, I guess it's that horseradish phobia we hear so much about these
days. People are just afraid to open the posts. Oh, and another possibility:
maybe the OP's neighbor is actually a former neighbor who moved away but never
forgets horseradish fanciers. Please, , help us out here?

Tyra

Old 31-07-2003, 07:05 PM
Tyra Trevellyn

(Rob) wrote:

Tyra wrote:

[...]

Rob, thanks for the answer! (Actually, just after I posted my final guess, the
other possibility hit me.....the more correct one....that you were the one who
had moved away.) T'was fun anyway.

I'm glad you got your horseradish, In fact, although I love the stuff, I
usually stick to fresh-in-jars. But because of this thread, I was overjoyed
yesterday when my local supermarket advertised fresh horseradish root. Liars.
Not a piece to be found. ("Oh, yeah, I think we had some yesterday....") I'm
going to try my local Farmers' Market next time. Someday, when I have a few
acres, I'll plant my own.

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa z7

Old 01-08-2003, 12:32 AM
Rob

Glad I cleared up the mystery. Actually just got in from whipping up a
batch -- dragged the food processor outside for obvious reasons. My
sinuses are clearer than they've been in a long time nonetheless.

Speaking of growing, does anyone know how well horseradish would do in
a pot? Any experience or suggestions?

Rob
Old 01-08-2003, 03:36 AM
Ken Anderson

"Rob" wrote in message
om...
Glad I cleared up the mystery. Actually just got in from whipping up a
batch -- dragged the food processor outside for obvious reasons. My
sinuses are clearer than they've been in a long time nonetheless.

Speaking of growing, does anyone know how well horseradish would do in
a pot? Any experience or suggestions?

Rob

No, but as incredibly prolific as it is, I'll bet you could grow it in a
pot. Er, a tall pot! They don't seem to put out much in the way of laterals,
must be concentrated in the tap root. I STILL have horseradish growing, just
because I can't seem to make it go away. I see a small batch in my crystal
ball. Beats store-bought in color, taste, and texture. Yum!
Ken A.

Old 01-08-2003, 03:52 AM
Steve Calvin

Ken Anderson wrote:
"Rob" wrote in message
om...

Glad I cleared up the mystery. Actually just got in from whipping up a
batch -- dragged the food processor outside for obvious reasons. My
sinuses are clearer than they've been in a long time nonetheless.

Speaking of growing, does anyone know how well horseradish would do in
a pot? Any experience or suggestions?

Rob

No, but as incredibly prolific as it is, I'll bet you could grow it in a
pot. Er, a tall pot! They don't seem to put out much in the way of laterals,
must be concentrated in the tap root. I STILL have horseradish growing, just
because I can't seem to make it go away. I see a small batch in my crystal
ball. Beats store-bought in color, taste, and texture. Yum!
Ken A.

Thanks for the question. I was wondering if I could "pot grow" it too.
I don't want it to spread all over the place in my yard or garden. I'm
thinking about a pot that's about 20"x20". Think that's big enough?

Although, thankfully if I can't do it myself there's a local farmer
who makes his own and it's VERY good. 'Course you'd better be careful
with it in a sauce. ;-)

--
Steve

Horseradish Tree Gae Xavier Texas 18 09-10-2005 08:45 AM
Horseradish again karen United Kingdom 2 07-05-2003 08:56 PM
Help, re horseradish karen United Kingdom 7 06-05-2003 11:20 PM
Horseradish growing ED ROGERS United Kingdom 3 03-05-2003 05:20 AM
Horseradish... Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot United Kingdom 8 03-03-2003 11:42 PM