GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   soil rejuvination question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/37630-soil-rejuvination-question.html)

Frank Thompson 20-07-2003 08:02 PM

soil rejuvination question

what can I do to make soil fertile again if ihas been soaked in enough
brine to kill vegetation
My correct e-mail address is gn052 (not gn52)
Fake adddress given to avoid spams

Frankhartx 20-07-2003 10:44 PM

soil rejuvination question

From: Frank Thompson
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edib

what can I do to make soil fertile again if ihas been soaked in enough
brine to kill vegetation

Mother natures rain and your watering may help to leachn the salts into the
substrata

Pat Kiewicz 21-07-2003 12:42 PM

Frank Thompson said:

what can I do to make soil fertile again if ihas been soaked in enough
brine to kill vegetation

Apply plenty of salt-free water.

From Colorado State extension service:

Saline soils cannot be reclaimed by any chemical amendment, conditioner or
fertilizer. Only leaching can remove salts from the plant root zone. The amount of
water necessary is related to the initial salt level in the soil, the final salt level
desired and the quality of the irrigation water.

Six acre-inches per acre of good quality leaching water passing through a foot of soil
will reduce the salinity by about 50 percent. One acre-foot per acre will reduce the
salinity by about 80 percent, and 2 acre-feet per acre passing through 1 foot of soil
will reduce the salinity by about 90 percent.

For example, if the soil has an average salt level of 18 dS/m in the top foot and the
salt level is to be reduced to 2 dS/m, the amount of leaching water needed is
calculated in the following way:

Amount to be reduced, 18 - 2 = 16
Reduction desired, 16 / 18 = 89 percent
Leaching water needed, 2 acre-feet/acre

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Christopher Norton 21-07-2003 02:52 PM

soil rejuvination question

The message
from (Frankhartx) contains these words:

From: Frank Thompson

Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edib

what can I do to make soil fertile again if ihas been soaked in enough
brine to kill vegetation

Mother natures rain and your watering may help to leachn the salts into the
substrata

I`d be looking at replacing some of the topsoil too if you can afford
it. Apart from that it`s time really as frank says with watering.

Frogleg 22-07-2003 12:22 PM

soil rejuvination question

From: Frank Thompson

what can I do to make soil fertile again if ihas been soaked in enough
brine to kill vegetation

Curious. *How* did this soaking occur? A horde of Carthaginian
marauders?