Old 22-07-2003, 03:55 AM
old whats his name

Default How do I tell when Cantalopes and Watermelons are Ripe.

I have heard that watermelons should have a yellow spot on the part
touching the ground. and they should have a certain thump when you tap
them with your finger.

And cantalpes must let go of the vine easily..

Is this true and what other ways can I tell
Old 22-07-2003, 03:57 AM
Bob Provencher

"old whats his name" wrote in message
I have heard that watermelons should have a yellow spot on the part
touching the ground. and they should have a certain thump when you tap
them with your finger.

And cantalpes must let go of the vine easily..

It's true about cantaloupes. Just pull them away from the vine. You can
also tell by the color and odor. They will definitely pick up a more musky
smell. They will also start to turn more yellowish instead of greenish.
That's how you know when to start testing them by pulling on em a little.
If they are ripe they will disconnect from the vine very easily.

Make sure it practically falls off the vine -- if you have to pull it off it
was not ready -- because if you've never had a true ripe cantaloupe before
you're in for a real treat and you won't be able to go back to that stuff
they sell in the stores (which should be called styroloupe or something .

For watermelons that's what I've heard too, but I haven't been able to get
it right yet. I usually wait too long.

--
Bob Provencher
ICQ 881862

Old 22-07-2003, 12:22 PM
Pat Kiewicz

old whats his name said:

I have heard that watermelons should have a yellow spot on the part
touching the ground. and they should have a certain thump when you tap
them with your finger.

Those are both signs, but here are two more.

Most varieties, take a look at the tendril nearest the watermelon. If it has
dried up naturally (not been bent or broken off) it's an indication of ripeness.

Feel the rind of the watermelon. When the melon is ripe, you will feel a
sort of ropiness when you grip the melon and draw your fingers over the rind.
On an underripe melon your fingers will slip across more easily.

Ripe watermelons will not slip the vine. They must be cut off.

And cantalpes must let go of the vine easily..

They will also change color under the netting and begin to smell like ripe
cantaloupes.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 22-07-2003, 12:32 PM
Frogleg

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 18:40:29 -0500, old whats his name
wrote:

I have heard that watermelons should have a yellow spot on the part
touching the ground. and they should have a certain thump when you tap
them with your finger.

And cantalpes must let go of the vine easily..

Is this true and what other ways can I tell

I don't understand why a yellow area indicates ripeness of watermelons
(which I have never grown and cannot offer expert advice for). Seems
to me a "yellow spot" would mean a place the sun don't shine (on).

Bob Provencher's post echoes my own experience with canteloupes. They
practically shout "pick me" when they're ripe; the color changes; they
become very fragrant; and the stem slips off with the slightest
pressure. And oh boy, are they good!
Old 22-07-2003, 11:08 PM
FarmerDill

I don't understand why a yellow area indicates ripeness of watermelons
(which I have never grown and cannot offer expert advice for). Seems
to me a "yellow spot" would mean a place the sun don't shine (on).

Bob Provencher's post echoes my own experience with canteloupes. They
practically shout "pick me" when they're ripe; the color changes; they
become very fragrant; and the stem slips off with the slightest
pressure. And oh boy, are they good!

Yellow spot is only applicable to those growing dark colored watermelons. All
watermelons change skin color slightly as they ripen . This change is more
visible on the underside where the melon lies on the ground, On dark green
melons like Black Diamond, Kleckly Sweets, Tom Watson, Sugar Baby...., this
area will appear yellow. On the white type melons, Charleton Gray, Sweet
Princess, Ice Cream ..... It will merely show as an off white. The
browning(dying ) of the tendril is perhaps the best indicator for a novice.
Most varieties of watermelon will hold for an extended period on the vine so I
would err on that side when uncertain as to ripeness.

Old 23-07-2003, 02:22 AM
V_coerulea

On watermelons, the underside is usually white on unripe melons. When ripe
the white turns to yellowish where the sun don't shine.
news

Old 23-07-2003, 02:02 PM
Frogleg

"Frogleg" wrote in message

I don't understand why a yellow area indicates ripeness of watermelons
(which I have never grown and cannot offer expert advice for). Seems
to me a "yellow spot" would mean a place the sun don't shine (on).

Thank you. That makes sense. I need to get a watermelon soon (farmers
mkt), and will save seeds.