Old 22-07-2003, 12:02 PM
AussieResc

Default Tomatoes skins splitting

I had the problem of many of my tomatoes splitting their skins last year. I
would like to avoid this happening again. Was I watering too much or too
little that caused this to happen?
Pat
A HREF="http://members.aol.com/aussieresc"Aussies in Shelters/A
A HREF="http://members.aol.com/paltm81324"Dakota's Rescue Page/A
Old 22-07-2003, 06:42 PM
Penny Morgan

Just keep your watering consistent. When tomatoes get an overabundance of
water, their skins will split open.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina

Old 23-07-2003, 01:42 AM
M. Tiefert

In article , "Penny Morgan" wrote:
Just keep your watering consistent. When tomatoes get an overabundance of
water, their skins will split open.

They'll even split after you pick them - if you wash them and aren't
going to slice them immediately, then dry them with a clean towel
before they slurp up the water left on them and split.

cheers,

Marj

* * *
Marj Tiefert: http://www.mindspring.com/~mtiefert/
Mediterranean Garden Shop: http://stores.tiefert.com/garden/
In Sunset zone 14-mild
Old 23-07-2003, 09:32 PM
len

"AussieResc" wrote in message
I had the problem of many of my tomatoes splitting their skins last year.

would like to avoid this happening again. Was I watering too much or too
little that caused this to happen?
Pat

Too long between watering. A thirsty plant, will have sudden spurt of
growth, the skin of the fruit will not stretch fast enough, and will split.
Len

Cobnut skins splitting Andy United Kingdom 7 14-10-2007 07:03 PM
Tomatoes splitting on top GK Edible Gardening 6 11-08-2005 01:57 AM
Splitting tomatoes jim Australia 2 31-03-2005 11:54 PM
splitting tomatoes David Sutcliffe United Kingdom 2 13-08-2003 10:03 AM
tomatoes splitting Steve & Erin Gardening 4 08-08-2003 07:02 PM