GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What is this fuzzy white thing (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/37945-what-fuzzy-white-thing.html)

gnu9903 22-07-2003 06:32 PM

What is this fuzzy white thing

Help! I've seen here and there in my garden a white, furry looking
insect 2-4 mm., just occasionally. Suddenly this morning I noticed my
Italian bay bush had a whole bunch of them along with drops (some
blobs) of a clear fluid that appeared to have a whitish scum in and
around it. Sorry I was too squeamish to touch the stuff so I don't
know if it was watery or viscous. The bugs are the low, flat type and
their white "hairs" make them look bigger than they are when you turn
them over. Sorta like a sowbug with a Don King do. They're kind of
pale yellow or tan on the belly.

I tried Googling for plant parasite white fuzzy or furry, and I
searched this group but I have not found anything that matches the
description.

I am near SF CA. Thank you
gnu

mixter 22-07-2003 09:42 PM

What is this fuzzy white thing

try this website:

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/t...s/leaves3.html

good luck.
mixter

om...

gnu9903 23-07-2003 02:22 AM

(gnu9903) wrote in message . com...
Help! I've seen here and there in my garden a white, furry looking
insect 2-4 mm., just occasionally. Suddenly this morning I noticed my
Italian bay bush had a whole bunch of them along with drops (some
blobs) of a clear fluid that appeared to have a whitish scum in and
around it. Sorry I was too squeamish to touch the stuff so I don't
know if it was watery or viscous. The bugs are the low, flat type and
their white "hairs" make them look bigger than they are when you turn
them over. Sorta like a sowbug with a Don King do. They're kind of
pale yellow or tan on the belly.

I tried Googling for plant parasite white fuzzy or furry, and I
searched this group but I have not found anything that matches the
description.

I am near SF CA. Thank you
gnu

Following up to myself - I think it's a citrus mealy bug. Don't know
why it's on a bay. I do have an orange tree right next to it, but it
doesn't have these bugs on them....

mixter 23-07-2003 09:02 PM

What is this fuzzy white thing

oooops. i misunderstood and thought it was cucumber mosaic virus. my
apologies. it does sound like a mealy bug from your description of the white
hairs.

mixter