Old 26-07-2003, 03:32 PM
Frogleg

Default x-archive -- was: Couldn't be much more of a newbie

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 09:20:25 -0400, Pat Meadows
wrote:

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 11:53:34 GMT, Frogleg
wrote:

Check Pat Meadows' posts.

He can't. I use the 'x-no-archive' switch and Google
therefore does not archive my posts. I have (what I
consider) good reasons for doing this that are not relevant
here.

Hmm. I sometimes see this and usually strip it off when replying (as I
do "Hi" at beginnings and signatures at the end (it didn't appear in
*this* post). I guess that's why some threads are harder to Google
than others. I'm always rather startled when I Google for something
and find one of my own posts listed. Amazing how much one forgets! ^_^
Old 26-07-2003, 04:03 PM
Pat Meadows

wrote:

Check Pat Meadows' posts.

He can't. I use the 'x-no-archive' switch and Google
therefore does not archive my posts. I have (what I
consider) good reasons for doing this that are not relevant
here.

Hmm. I sometimes see this and usually strip it off when replying (as I
do "Hi" at beginnings and signatures at the end (it didn't appear in
*this* post).

That's because I know how to place it correctly - in the
header: which you wouldn't normally see unless you instruct
your email program to "show full headers" (or whatever
equivalent words your email program uses).

I think it's courteous to leave it in your reply:
presumably if the poster prefers not to have his* posts
archived, he will also prefer not to have his quoted posts
archived.

If left, it should be the first line of the body of the
post, or in the header.

A competent email program (such as Agent) will have a
setting that enables you to automatically respond to
x-no-archive posts by putting the switch in your response,
if you want to: so you don't have to do it yourself each
time. (I'd never remember to do it each time.)

Pat

* or her - etc. I wish English had a genderless 3rd person
singular pronoun. I hate the his/her ... he/she...business.