Old 27-07-2003, 02:02 AM
Todd

Default Definition of "Organic"

What is the definition of an "Organic" garden? Is it just sans pesticides,
or add only certain things to the garden? And to have an "Organic" garden,
is there a certification?

I live in the Salt Lake City, Utah area. Zone 6. . . I think.
Thanks,
Todd

---

Old 27-07-2003, 02:22 AM
des weges

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 23:58:02 GMT, "Todd"
wrote:

What is the definition of an "Organic" garden? Is it just sans pesticides,
or add only certain things to the garden? And to have an "Organic" garden,
is there a certification?

I live in the Salt Lake City, Utah area. Zone 6. . . I think.
Thanks,
Todd

http://www.ams.usda.gov/nop/indexIE.htm

Utah Department of Agriculture
350 North Redwood Rd.
Box 146500
Salt Lake City, UT 84114-6500
801-538-7141
Email:
Scope: crop, livestock, wild crop, handling
Accredited: 4/29/02
Old 27-07-2003, 02:32 AM
Jim Carter

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 23:58:02 GMT, "Todd" wrote in
rec.gardens.edible:

What is the definition of an "Organic" garden? Is it just sans pesticides,
or add only certain things to the garden? And to have an "Organic" garden,
is there a certification?

There is much to organic gardening and farming. Look at the Ontario Ministry of
Agriculture page at

http://www.gov.on.ca/OMAFRA/english/...027.htm#define for some

idea of what is involved.

The United States Department of Agriculture has a similar definition, but I do
not know its address. Pat, I think you had this.
--
Gardening Zones
Canada Zone 5a
Old 27-07-2003, 03:12 PM
Pat Meadows

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 20:29:25 -0400, Jim Carter
wrote:

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 23:58:02 GMT, "Todd" wrote in
rec.gardens.edible:

What is the definition of an "Organic" garden? Is it just sans pesticides,
or add only certain things to the garden? And to have an "Organic" garden,
is there a certification?

There is much to organic gardening and farming. Look at the Ontario Ministry of
Agriculture page at

http://www.gov.on.ca/OMAFRA/english/...027.htm#define for some

idea of what is involved.

The United States Department of Agriculture has a similar definition, but I do
not know its address. Pat, I think you had this.

Here's the USDA FAQ on the subject:

http://www.ams.usda.gov/nop/Q&A.html

Note that those whose 'gross agricultural income' is under
$5000/year do not require certification, although they must
comply with all other relevant requirements.

Pat
Old 27-07-2003, 04:03 PM
Lynn Smythe

I know if you want to sell produce from your garden and have it be listed as
organically grown you have to go through your states certification process.
Here in Florida I think that means that you have to practice organic
gardening practices for a minimun of 3 years before you can even apply to be
certified organic.

Way too much trouble and red tape to go through for a small time garden like
I have at the present time. I do practice organic gardening though and let
anyone getting stuff from my garden (mostly neighbors getting herbs) know
that no harmful chemicals or pesticides were used. To fertilize my garden I
use either fish or seaweed emulsion. I have two large compost bins to
recycle most yard and kitchen waste and my husband built me a rainbarrel to
circumvent our nasty filtered well water.

Take care,
Lynn Smythe
e-mail:
website:
http://users.adelphia.net/~lynnsmythe

Old 27-07-2003, 04:42 PM
Pat Meadows

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 13:57:41 GMT, "Lynn Smythe"
wrote:

I know if you want to sell produce from your garden and have it be listed as
organically grown you have to go through your states certification process.
Here in Florida I think that means that you have to practice organic
gardening practices for a minimun of 3 years before you can even apply to be
certified organic.

Way too much trouble and red tape to go through for a small time garden like
I have at the present time.

Those whose 'gross agricultural income' is under $5000/year
are exempt from the federal certification requirements.

See: http://www.ams.usda.gov/nop/Q&A.html

Your state may have some other requirements, though.

I've taken care to research this because I intend to sell
'organic' veggies at a farmers' market next year.

Pat