Old 27-07-2003, 09:12 PM
jfrost

Default outside shower

Thought I would forward details of my newly installed project:
an "Outdoor Shower"
I'm very pleased with it. It took me a week of going back & forth to Lowes
&
wal-mart cuz i didn't quite know what i was doing.

Parts:
One: 6ft metal fence " T" stake
galvanized 1/2"end cap / 4ft galvanized 1/2"water pipe
two handled brass mixing valve (from a shower kit ~ 40$--60$)
2ft galvanized 1/2"water pipe / 90deg galvanized 1/2" elbow

a 4or 5 unit muti-cutoffvalve to hook your house waterhose spigot
to.
black waterhose for hot side & any other garden hose for cold side
bungee cord to hold the plumbing pipe onto the fence stake

a $30 outdoor eating tent/canopy @ wal-mart
$3 metal shower soap/ razor /washcloth organizer that hooks over
the shower head. 5 shower curtains & rings

Throw everything up ( & attach the shower head & handles to the plumbing)
and you have a really nice outdoor shower if you
want to use after working in the mud, or maybe to cool off if sun gets
too hot. If you use it as a seasonal shower in the summer, you can save
money on hot water cuz the sun is cooking that black water hose.

I did see a prettier design in a magazine, but it didn't have as much elbow
room. instead of the awning, they bought a black metal garden arch; they
are for sale here at lowes for $160. It was very decorative!!

I was also thinking that i should now plant mint there, so when you walk
on it, you smell that really fragrant smell !

jfrost

Old 28-07-2003, 01:03 AM
John DeBoo

jfrost wrote:

[...]

And to think we had one when I was a kid. Used to freeze my butt
off getting from it into the house in winter. Whatcha gonna build
next, a designer outhouseG?

Old 28-07-2003, 02:12 AM
Hope Munro Smith

In article ,
"jfrost" wrote:

[...]

Wow, that's a really terrific idea!
Old 28-07-2003, 12:12 PM
Frogleg

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 17:49:40 -0600, John DeBoo
wrote:

jfrost wrote:

Thought I would forward details of my newly installed project:
an "Outdoor Shower"
I'm very pleased with it. It took me a week of going back & forth to Lowes
&
wal-mart cuz i didn't quite know what i was doing.

snip

I was also thinking that i should now plant mint there, so when you walk
on it, you smell that really fragrant smell !

And to think we had one when I was a kid. Used to freeze my butt
off getting from it into the house in winter. Whatcha gonna build
next, a designer outhouseG?

Ah, but wouldn't an outdoor shower be nice right now? Jfrost didn't
say he/she was substituting outdoor for indoor facilities. I know
*I've* turned a (non-sprinkler) hose on my head during a hot day's
gardening. (Yes, I did notice the G)

Mint underfoot is a neat idea. I have both rampant mint and lemon balm
in places is shouldn't be, and the redeeming feature is walking
through a cloud of fresh scent. Why, most people would pay pounds and
pounds for that! The Brit garden program 'Ground Force' often plants
aromatics along pathways so that walking around will release the
scent.
Old 28-07-2003, 06:12 PM
John DeBoo

Frogleg wrote:

snip

Ah, but wouldn't an outdoor shower be nice right now? Jfrost didn't
say he/she was substituting outdoor for indoor facilities. I know
*I've* turned a (non-sprinkler) hose on my head during a hot day's
gardening. (Yes, I did notice the G)

It definately would. I find myself standing under my hose
oftentimes and the wife nearby with the gleam in her eyes "Give me
that hose and I'll show you...". Having 2 large pots of mint
growing and wetting them profusely daily I know how good it'd smell.
Overall its a great idea for watering the garden. I doubt soap
would be harmful to anything growing in it. Now about that designer
2-holerVBG. One could mix the oders of roses and, ahem, roses.

Old 30-07-2003, 11:32 AM
Jan Flora

In article , John DeBoo
wrote:

Frogleg wrote:

snip

Ah, but wouldn't an outdoor shower be nice right now? Jfrost didn't
say he/she was substituting outdoor for indoor facilities. I know
*I've* turned a (non-sprinkler) hose on my head during a hot day's
gardening. (Yes, I did notice the G)

It definately would. I find myself standing under my hose
oftentimes and the wife nearby with the gleam in her eyes "Give me
that hose and I'll show you...". Having 2 large pots of mint
growing and wetting them profusely daily I know how good it'd smell.
Overall its a great idea for watering the garden. I doubt soap
would be harmful to anything growing in it. Now about that designer
2-holerVBG. One could mix the oders of roses and, ahem, roses.

Gawd, you city people are goofy. We grow sweet peas up the walls of
our outhouse in the summer. (We have indoor plumbing, but using the
outhouse gets me away from the noise of the kids, the fridge, the radio,
the TV and the telephone. It's a peaceful oasis.)

Outdoor showers are the bee's knees in hot country, in the summer. They
are just delightful. I never thought to plant mint or lemon balm around mine,
but that's a great idea.

Jan, in Alaska
Old 31-07-2003, 04:03 AM
Kenneth D. Schillinger

I had an outside shower in a cabin in the woods that I built.
I liked it a lot, but it had no roof so the few times it snowed here in
the PNW snow would accumulate on the floor. One day when I went to
shower and was standing on ice facing frozen water I decided the fun had
gone away, and it was time to build a "real House", one with indoor
plumbing.
Regards, Ken..

Old 31-07-2003, 04:32 PM
Bpyboy

I saw a really nice one in costa rica. It routed the water through a 55 gallon
black plastic drum that was up above the shower to give it some pressure. the
thing was filled off of rain gutters, and within a couple of hours, the water
was nice and warm, but cool enough to refresh you. Really the only way to
clean off after a "hard day" on the beach!

the one they had didn't even have a shower head, just a spigot and hose with
one of those "soaker heads" you hook on to your garden hose. still, it was
glorious to soak your head under that thing after being cooked out in the sun
all day.
Old 31-07-2003, 07:05 PM
Lee

"Kenneth D. Schillinger" wrote in message ...
I had an outside shower in a cabin in the woods that I built.
I liked it a lot, but it had no roof so the few times it snowed here in
the PNW snow would accumulate on the floor. One day when I went to
shower and was standing on ice facing frozen water I decided the fun had
gone away, and it was time to build a "real House", one with indoor
plumbing.
Regards, Ken..

sounds like a good idea but you could still use the outside one in
the summer. I saw a house in Calif near where we lived that had in
indoor-outdoor shower with river stones and a water fall and it was so
lovely that i, 55 years later, still dream about it!
lee.

Old 02-08-2003, 06:02 AM
Lee

"samuel l crowe" wrote in message ...
I have a shower that i installed in the garage/shop to use only after a days
work in the garden, now I use it all the time, it has a small water heater,
plus a electric heater for winter months . I use it 12 months a year. the
dw also uses it now and then. Best investment I have done in a while. Its
complete with toilet, sink and a small closet, i love it.

--
Sam
Along the Grand Strand of Myrtle Beach SC

That sounds great, too! my bro-in-law had one built when he built his
house in between the garage and the kitchen that worked well. That
way no outside stuff into the kitchen! He was required to wash up and
change cloths before he came into the house . he wasn't a slob ,
but he did have a ranch on the side and sometimes could get in a
pretty good mess paticularly if weather was bad.
lee.
Old 09-08-2003, 02:32 PM
Jan Flora

In article , tomj wrote:

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 02:30:18 -0800, (Jan Flora)
wrote:

Outdoor showers are the bee's knees in hot country, in the summer. They
are just delightful. I never thought to plant mint or lemon balm around

mine,
but that's a great idea.

Jan, in Alaska

Goofy is living in Alaska and thinking that week of warm weather
qualifies as summer.....

*ROLF*

It was 104F. in Chicken, Alaska on the 4th of July a couple of years ago.
Chicken is about 70 miles south of the arctic circle. It stays hot in the
Interior
for more than a week. Maybe 6 weeks. That's long enough! (We had major
water balloon fights at that Miners Picnic when it was 104. Even the elders
in their 80's and 90's got into it. And everyone kept running over to Chicken
Creek to lay down in the water, between water balloon fights.)

I didn't always live here. Lived in the foothills of the Sierra for a long time,
were temps over 100F. are common for months and months... *sigh* I got
stuck down there a few years ago, when my pop died. Right in the height of
summer. The guy at a Sizzler thought I was joking when I asked to stand in the
walk-in fridge for awhile. (I wasn't kidding. It was 108F. and I was
heat-stroking.)
All of my camps in the Sierra had outdoor showers. Some even had solar-heated
water.

The shower up in my mining camp near Chicken is outdoors. I ran a poly-line way
up the creek, into a Paloma on-demand water heater. The shower has a river-rock
floor and a shack around it. (City girls who visit get nervous around thorny old
gold miners. They need a shower stall. The rest of us could care less.)

What I don't understand is why they don't evacuate the entire southwest in the
summertime. It's uninhabitable, IMO.

Jan
Old 07-07-2011, 08:56 AM
Registered User

Hi, I have just been reading your post. We provide heated outdoor gas showers if this is what you are looking for? It is the Eccotemp Outdoor Gas shower. Please see some of the features below:
- Heat for up to 28 hours using only an 11kg propane gas bottle.
- Automatically ignite using only 2 ‘D’ batteries.
- Easily have the temperature of the water adjusted.
- Easily be turned on and off by an adjustable head.
Also it has an easy hook-up and installation - simply connects to the garden hose and a standard LPG (propane) gas bottle.
This shower is designed for people who require instantaneous hot water which makes this the perfect shower for any outdoor activity.
Find us on the web Home page or on facebook by searching for Eccotemp UK.
Best wishes

outside shower jfrost Texas 10 02-08-2003 06:02 AM
outside shower jfrost Gardening 4 02-08-2003 06:02 AM
2002 Leonid Meteor Shower Jupiter Scientific Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:26 PM
OT - Replacing a Shower Head Willow Australia 15 05-04-2003 06:35 AM
Marinette and Crimson Shower Kate Morgan United Kingdom 2 19-03-2003 09:44 AM