Old 29-07-2003, 12:03 AM
Angi

Default Cucumbers grown in cages

I requested advice a few weeks ago about growing cucumbers vertically in
cages while the plants were still in bloom before producing yet as to
whether the plants' tendrils would be sufficient to support the vines after
the production starts or if they needed additional support. I can now offer
this advice to anyone interested for future reference. The tendrils alone
are sufficient as my vines have now grown over the 5 foot cages and about
halfway to the ground again and are in full production.
I chose straight 8 and marketmore and the cucumbers are almost perfectly
straight because they hang down unobstructed rather than lay on the ground
needing to overcome the soil resistance while growing and in the past, have
usually been shape-deformed (almost half moon)! Since the cages are only
about 2 feet wide, a person needs an eagle eye to find them amongst all the
leaves inside the cages.
I was forced to try to grow them vertically for the first time ever because
of moving into a much smaller garden.

Old 31-07-2003, 01:32 AM
Noydb

Angi wrote:

I chose straight 8 and marketmore and the cucumbers are almost perfectly
straight because they hang down unobstructed rather than lay on the ground
needing to overcome the soil resistance while growing and in the past,
have usually been shape-deformed (almost half moon)! Since the cages are
only about 2 feet wide, a person needs an eagle eye to find them amongst
all the leaves inside the cages.
I was forced to try to grow them vertically for the first time ever
because of moving into a much smaller garden.

I have a dinky garden (280 sq ft) and the only way I could possibly get much
yield at all is by gardening upward. But ya oughta see my 'maters and
cukes!

Bill
--
Zone 5b (Detroit, MI)

Cucumbers grown inside cages Angi Edible Gardening 15 24-07-2003 07:42 PM
cucumbers inside cages Angi Gardening 8 19-07-2003 07:42 PM
Cucumbers & Tomato cages James Mayer Edible Gardening 7 12-05-2003 07:56 AM
Tomato Cages Online? Phaedrine Stonebridge Edible Gardening 23 07-02-2003 06:52 PM
Cucumbers grown vertically Andy N Edible Gardening 10 31-01-2003 06:22 PM