Old 29-07-2003, 04:22 PM
Anne

Default Corn has tassles but silks slow to appear

Hi All,

I am somewhat worried if I will get any corn this year. Most of the plants
have the tassles up and they are dispensing pollen but there are very few silks
out. I can see which cornstalks will have silks by the swollen stems but I
worry that by the time the silk arrives there will be no pollen left. Hand
pollenating is such a pain . . . . Is there any other solution or is this
condition normal?

Thanks
Anne
Old 30-07-2003, 12:02 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Anne said:
I am somewhat worried if I will get any corn this year. Most of the plants
have the tassles up and they are dispensing pollen but there are very few silks
out. I can see which cornstalks will have silks by the swollen stems but I
worry that by the time the silk arrives there will be no pollen left. Hand
pollenating is such a pain . . . . Is there any other solution or is this
condition normal?

Pretty normal for corn and other plants with separate flowers to produce the
male parts first. It takes less energy to produce pollen than fruit. The plant
is doing its best to try to be a father, in case it doesn't have the luck (or the
resources) to become a mother.

This lag always seems to be worst in my earliest corn plantings. Or maybe
it just *seems* that way when I'm waiting for the first corn.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)