Old 30-07-2003, 01:59 PM
Registered User

Question Lemon Tress

Me and my mum palnted a lemon pip a while ago.
It has now grown to a fair size (about 2-3 feet).
We are now unsure of what to do with it, e.g. does it need pruning, feeding, flowering, pollinating, etc.

Could anyone please give me a few hints and tips on the tree and its care.

Thanks a lot
Old 31-07-2003, 03:02 AM
M. Tiefert

Default Lemon Tress

In article m, Kirkyboy wrote:
Me and my mum palnted a lemon pip a while ago.
It has now grown to a fair size (about 2-3 feet).
We are now unsure of what to do with it, e.g. does it need pruning,
feeding, flowering, pollinating, etc.

All citrus trees are heavy feeders - you can probably get citrus food.
If not, rose food might do. But you shouldn't prune or feed just before
winter, unless, perhaps, you have it in a heated greenhouse.

Don't expect to get lemons exactly like the lemon you got the pip from -
citrus trees are usually propagated vegetatively.

But you'll have fun growing it anyway.

cheers,

Marj

* * *
Marj Tiefert: http://www.mindspring.com/~mtiefert/
Mediterranean Garden Shop: http://stores.tiefert.com/garden/
In Sunset zone 14-mild
Old 31-07-2003, 03:32 AM
Ben Sharvy

Where do you live?

Is it in a pot indoors, in the ground....

Pruning is usually optional and minimal for citrus. They are unusual
in that they store most of their calories in their leaves rather than
their roots, so pruning robs the plant of more energy than usual.

They get dehydrated from wind easily, so you'll need to shelter it.
Old 31-07-2003, 10:57 AM
Registered User

The tree is currently in quite a large pot in my conservatory.
So it is well shelted but also gets the heat well on hot days.
I live in central England.

Thanks for your help