GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tomato plants and Apple trees (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/38806-tomato-plants-apple-trees.html)

Roxanne 30-07-2003 03:22 PM

Tomato plants and Apple trees

My container grown tomato plants were beautiful, when they needed
staked we were chopping down an apple tree, so I used some of the long
straight branches for stakes. Now my plants look terrible, I think
they're almost dead. Does it have anything to do with the apple
branches?

Pat Kiewicz 31-07-2003 11:12 AM

Roxanne said:

My container grown tomato plants were beautiful, when they needed
staked we were chopping down an apple tree, so I used some of the long
straight branches for stakes. Now my plants look terrible, I think
they're almost dead. Does it have anything to do with the apple
branches?

I don't *think* it has to do with the apple branches vs. some other type of
stake. It may have something to do with pushing a stake into a container
already full of roots, trying to tie up plants that were happily sprawling around.

Or it could just be coincidence, and a disease has hit your tomato plants that
would have happened, apple stakes or not.

(Container-grown plants may need watering more than once a day. Can that be a
factor?)

I put the stake in the same time I put in the tomato plant, and train them to
the stake from then on.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Jan Flora 09-08-2003 02:32 PM

Tomato plants and Apple trees

In article ,
(Roxanne) wrote:

My container grown tomato plants were beautiful, when they needed
staked we were chopping down an apple tree, so I used some of the long
straight branches for stakes. Now my plants look terrible, I think
they're almost dead. Does it have anything to do with the apple
branches?

I can't think of anything an apple tree could harbor that would harm a
tomato plant. Did you punch the branches into the pots after you planted
the tomatoes? You should install the stakes at planting time, so you don't
hurt the roots.

Use that applewood to smoke meat/fish or in your BBQ. It's the best!

Jan