Old 01-08-2003, 07:22 PM
John DeBoo

Default Compost ingredients?

Pat Meadows wrote:

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 11:16:14 -0400, WCD
wrote:

I was having the same problem. I was tooling down the boulevard here in
Connecticut and I spotted a bunch of nice pallets behind a Sears Tool
store. I inquired and they gave me all I could cart off in my pickup.
The Sears people were very nice and the pallets are all new and they
even match.

I have since noticed there aren't always pallets there. I think I just
got there on the right day.

I do too. If I ever see a stack like that, I'll surely ask.
Thanks.

Pat

If you know anyone that does 'Intarsia', a type of woodworking,
they'll love some of the pallets too as some pretty exotic woods
(grains and colors too) are used in them. Oak is very common.

Old 01-08-2003, 07:42 PM
steve

Tom Jaszewski wrote in message . ..
On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 12:51:15 -0400, NC_FUBAR
wrote:

Have also read in several places that cooked meat, bones, and
human/pet manure should not be included in compost materials.

I put nothing I wouldn't eat in my pile, that includes ALL animal
products. For some of us organic meat is an oxymoron....

Thats because your confusing/intertwining two separate concepts.
Organic farming (which favors renewable resources and recycling,
returning to the soil the nutrients found in waste products) and
vegetarianism.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:02 PM
FDR

I wouldn't put any animal type waste in a manure pile. There are disease
risks.

"Andrew McMichael" wrote in message

What do y'all put in your compost. Our pile is fairly far from the house,

and
we don't have a garbage disposal, so I put most everything in there--all
organics (veggie cuttings, scrapings from the plates, oils, meat

trimmings,
etc]. But I've heard that one should stick to vegetable material. Is this

so?
Why?

Andrew

Old 02-08-2003, 01:02 AM
Jan Flora

In article , Andrew McMichael
wrote:

Pat Meadows wrote:

I think it would be nice to have a compost heap made out of
pallets (or other wood).

I've used pallets for years. I use those metal fence posts that cost about $3
at the hardware store to support them. Pallets can be found most anywhere, so
the entire set-up costs me no more than about $15.

Basically I stand a pallet on its end, and put the post down the middle. The
pallets aren't tied together in any way so there's no need for anything other
than a hammer, the pallets, and the posts. Takes about fifteen minutes to put
it all together.

Andrew

Your local lumberyard may give away their damaged pallets for free. Ours does.
Also, if you live near a shipping port, you can get pallets and wooden shipping
containers made out of hardwoods (mahogany anyone?) for free, if you're a good
scrounge.

Jan
Old 02-08-2003, 01:02 AM
Jan Flora

In article , Andrew McMichael
wrote:

TomC wrote:

A local dairy farmer sells compost and manure. Guess where his dead cows
go!

Cow heaven?

Andrew

One of our cows ran the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race.

She got photosensitivity from eating hay with just the right mold in it,
the water
system quit for a couple of days and the combination was just enough to
push her
over the edge. We gave her to Jack Berry, for dog food. So she ran the Iditarod
six weeks later, as dog food. (She was a really neat cow, so we were bummed
about her dying, but jazzed that her carcass went to such good use. Her
daughters
and granddaughters are the best brood cows in our herd these days.)

Jan

Old 02-08-2003, 01:02 AM
Jan Flora

wrote:

Have also read in several places that cooked meat, bones, and
human/pet manure should not be included in compost materials.

I put nothing I wouldn't eat in my pile, that includes ALL animal
products. For some of us organic meat is an oxymoron....
I don't mean to demean anyone that eats or uses animal products, just
happen to believe in "Diet for a Small Planet".

Go surf around www.eatwild.com

Growing beef on grass helps with carbon sequestration, among other things.

Jan
organic beef rancher
Old 02-08-2003, 12:12 PM
Frogleg

"Andrew McMichael" wrote

What do y'all put in your compost. Our pile is fairly far from the house,

and
we don't have a garbage disposal, so I put most everything in there--all
organics (veggie cuttings, scrapings from the plates, oils, meat

trimmings,
etc]. But I've heard that one should stick to vegetable material. Is this

so?
Why?

As others have posted, a "hot" pile will probably consume an old boot.
More casual "cold" composting will turn leaves, grass, veg and fruit
waste, and an occasional spade- or potful of dirt into a lovely
mixture for digging into your garden. In addition to the above, I add
(rinsed and crumbled) eggshells, coffee grinds, and sometimes a teabag
or 3. The only time my pile has any odor at all is immediately after
adding something like canteloupe rind. Fats, proteins, bones, etc. may
attract rodents. I don't want oily stuff in my soil, so I keep that
out, too. Trimmings from making salad? Into the pile. Leftover salad
with dressing? Into the garbage.
Old 02-08-2003, 04:03 PM
Tom Jaszewski

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 15:51:35 -0800, (Jan Flora)
wrote:

Go surf around
www.eatwild.com

Growing beef on grass helps with carbon sequestration, among other things.

Jan
organic beef rancher

Thanks Jan, very interesting! We continue to buy organic beef when we
entertain and you've succeeded in convincing us to continue for our
unenlightened friends. :)

We'll have to agree to disagree personally, but I respect your
informed choice.

namaste,
tomj

Old 02-08-2003, 07:02 PM
Dave Allyn

If you know anyone that does 'Intarsia', a type of woodworking,
they'll love some of the pallets too as some pretty exotic woods
(grains and colors too) are used in them. Oak is very common.

another good place to check is grocery stores. They tend to get lots
of stuff in on pallets. Smaller town stores are best, as some of the
larger ones have special returnable skids they send back with thier
own trucks...

Central IL small garden, but do my best!

email: daveallyn at bwsys dot net
please respond in this NG so others
can share your wisdom as well!
Old 03-08-2003, 02:02 AM
Sue Sorensen

We've had a great worm bin for about 7 or 8 years in our backyard. When we
recently remodeled the kitchen, it turned out that composting had saved us a
bunch of money! The plumber looked at our garbage disposal and the pipes
attached to it and was amazed that we hadn't had a major breakdown, because
the pipe was really too small to handle the job. He said there was no way
the disposal should have lasted 25 years, as it had.

The worm bin also has provided a great start for new planting gardens that
I've been adding to my backyard each year. We started out with a yard that
was just a big rectangle of bad lawn. Now we have a great veggie garden, a
raspberry patch, a rose garden, etc. I hope to eventually have a back yard
that is more garden than lawn.

I put everything in the compost bin except fats and meat. I also get my
husband to put a layer of grass clippings in a couple of times during the
summer. (We usually compost the grass in a separate pile from the worm bin,
but it "freshens up" the worm bin to add grass from time to time.)

"Andrew McMichael" wrote

Old 03-08-2003, 11:12 AM
Jan Flora

wrote:

Go surf around
www.eatwild.com

Growing beef on grass helps with carbon sequestration, among other things.

Jan
organic beef rancher

Thanks Jan, very interesting! We continue to buy organic beef when we
entertain and you've succeeded in convincing us to continue for our
unenlightened friends. :)

We'll have to agree to disagree personally, but I respect your
informed choice.

namaste,
tomj

One of the ranchers in our cattlemans association is married to a
vegetarian. It's NBD. When we have to go to convention banquets,
he gets her prime rib and she gets his king crab legs : )

In my home, we actually eat a lot more seafood than beef, because
my SO will cave in and sell "our" beef, when a neighbor needs one for
a wedding, for Easter or some other big occasion. We go fishing all
winter long out on the bay, to catch halibut & king salmon. And buy
crab & scallops on the dock. And go clamming. A lot of our "recreation"
is actually subsistence food gathering. (Neither one of us hunts moose,
caribou or black bear anymore. We'd rather look at the animals than
kill them. But it's tempting to shoot moose when they get in the garden
and eat all the cabbage & broccali a week before harvest. There's a
moose heifer hanging around here tonight, so I put a radio out in the
garden and tuned it to a station that plays a lot of Rush Limbaugh
all night. That should scare her off. *g*)

Jan
Old 03-08-2003, 03:12 PM
Mike Stevenson

Vegetarian, by definition, means someone who doesn't eat red
meat, doesn't eat poultry, and doesn't eat seafood - in
short, a vegetarian doesn't eat any dead animals.

What about live animals? G

(Sorry Pat couldn't resist...)

Mike

Old 03-08-2003, 04:32 PM
Pat Meadows

On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 14:07:00 GMT, "Mike Stevenson"
wrote:

Vegetarian, by definition, means someone who doesn't eat red
meat, doesn't eat poultry, and doesn't eat seafood - in
short, a vegetarian doesn't eat any dead animals.

What about live animals? G

(Sorry Pat couldn't resist...)

Nah. It's too hard to catch them, except clams and other
mollusks.

Pat