Old 30-07-2003, 07:32 PM
Andrew McMichael

Default Compost ingredients?

What do y'all put in your compost. Our pile is fairly far from the house, and
we don't have a garbage disposal, so I put most everything in there--all
organics (veggie cuttings, scrapings from the plates, oils, meat trimmings,
etc]. But I've heard that one should stick to vegetable material. Is this so?
Why?

Andrew
Old 30-07-2003, 08:03 PM
Fito

"Andrew McMichael" wrote in message

What do y'all put in your compost. Our pile is fairly far from the house,

and
we don't have a garbage disposal, so I put most everything in there--all
organics (veggie cuttings, scrapings from the plates, oils, meat

trimmings,
etc]. But I've heard that one should stick to vegetable material. Is this

so?
Why?

Andrew

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/s...647001285.html

That may help you.

Fito

Old 30-07-2003, 11:07 PM
Pat Meadows

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 12:31:12 -0500, Andrew McMichael
wrote:

What do y'all put in your compost. Our pile is fairly far from the house, and
we don't have a garbage disposal, so I put most everything in there--all
organics (veggie cuttings, scrapings from the plates, oils, meat trimmings,
etc]. But I've heard that one should stick to vegetable material. Is this so?
Why?

I think it's because meat scraps, bones, etc. will encourage
animals to feed from the compost (rats, mice, whatever).

I don't put meat or oils in the compost for this reason -
also ours is pretty close to the house and I don't want the
smell of rotting meat.

Pat
Old 30-07-2003, 11:07 PM
Bpyboy

I had problems with neighborhood cats and things. But I understand that if you
BURY the stuff deep inside the pile, it's not that much of a problem. Also, I
read in "let it rot", the master work on composting, that things with oils and
fats sort of act like a varnish or waterproofing layer, and that slows down the
bacteria from breaking things down. If you're going to use meat products, try
to keep from using a lot of stuff with fat. I suppose drained meats, or low
fat meats and bones, if you bury them deeply would be ok. Still, I'd add at
least a couple of weeks to the composting process, just to make sure that the
bacteria has "eaten" up the meats and oils and stuff. They can do it, it just
takes a little bit more time.
Old 31-07-2003, 02:04 AM
TomC

A local dairy farmer sells compost and manure. Guess where his dead cows
go!

Pat Meadows wrote in article

Old 31-07-2003, 02:22 AM
Noydb

Andrew McMichael wrote:

What do y'all put in your compost. Our pile is fairly far from the house,
and we don't have a garbage disposal, so I put most everything in
there--all organics (veggie cuttings, scrapings from the plates, oils,
meat trimmings, etc]. But I've heard that one should stick to vegetable
material. Is this so? Why?

Andrew

Before the day is long gone, you'll get a lot of different answers. Mine is
that, if you have the carbon to go with it and a deep enough pit, you can
compost an elephant.

The answer to your question changes dramatically based on what sort of
compost process you have in mind. If you are going to be attentive and
ensure a "hot process" pile, you can chuck just about anything that comes
to hand into the pile. Vermin and pets are not an issue with a pile that is
cooking along at 135 degrees or better or that is enclosed in a composter
such as the rotating models now available. Nor are they a problem with pit
composting or any of a half-dozen variants on the theme of composting. On
the other hand, builders of 'slow process' compost piles need to show
greater restraint and avoid not only meat scraps but also pet and human
manures of all sorts.

Here's a link to a pretty exhaustive treatment of the topic.

http://www.jenkinspublishing.com/humanure.html

Bill
--
Zone 5b (Detroit, MI)

Old 31-07-2003, 06:15 AM
John DeBoo

Fito wrote:
"Andrew McMichael" wrote in message

What do y'all put in your compost. Our pile is fairly far from the house,

But I've heard that one should stick to vegetable material. Is this

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/s...647001285.html

That may help you.

Hmmm, I'm in the market to try one this fall myself and from what
I've read elsewhere one should turn the compose fairly often. How
does one do that if you make a round wire affair as suggested in
this FAQ?

Old 31-07-2003, 12:02 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Andrew McMichael said:

What do y'all put in your compost. Our pile is fairly far from the house, and
we don't have a garbage disposal, so I put most everything in there--all
organics (veggie cuttings, scrapings from the plates, oils, meat trimmings,
etc]. But I've heard that one should stick to vegetable material. Is this so?
Why?

Normally people don't have their compost 'cooking' enough to bury meat
and bone scraps in without risking serious odor or vermin problems.

If I have a hot batch that is really cooking I can throw in shrimp peelings,
fish bones, dead birds and mice and other stuff that is usually 'not
allowed' in the compost guides. Once we even splurged on lobsters for
the family and buried the leftovers in the middle of a really hot batch.
No smell, and the shells all broke down. The only thing we recognized
when sifting the compost later were the tips of the biggest claws.

I can email some information on hot, batch composting (written originally
by an professional compost man) to those who are interested.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 31-07-2003, 01:42 PM
Bpyboy

Wow, pat! Gormet compost? I'm sure the plants love you for it as much as your
family! My pile sort of has the "college student diet" of lots of veggie
scraps, whatever I can scrounge up off the curb, the occasional Raman Noodle
feast.....

Old 31-07-2003, 03:02 PM
Pat Meadows

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 21:53:41 -0600, John DeBoo
wrote:

Hmmm, I'm in the market to try one this fall myself and from what
I've read elsewhere one should turn the compose fairly often. How
does one do that if you make a round wire affair as suggested in
this FAQ?

Pull up the wire circle - pull it off the compost. Or
un-hitch it so it's not a circle anymore.

Move the wire circle to a new spot. Fork the compost into
the new spot.

We use a wire fencing circle for compost too, but we just
leave it, all this forking business is too much work - it
will slowly decompose all by itself. Slowly.

Pat

Old 31-07-2003, 03:32 PM
Frogleg

On 30 Jul 2003 23:56:52 GMT, "TomC" wrote:

A local dairy farmer sells compost and manure. Guess where his dead cows
go!

Not in the manure/bedding, unless he wants a lot of trouble from (at
least!) the local health department.
Old 31-07-2003, 04:12 PM
Andrew McMichael

TomC wrote:

A local dairy farmer sells compost and manure. Guess where his dead cows
go!

Cow heaven?

Andrew
Old 31-07-2003, 06:22 PM
Phaedrine Stonebridge

wrote:

Hmmm, I'm in the market to try one this fall myself and from what
I've read elsewhere one should turn the compose fairly often. How
does one do that if you make a round wire affair as suggested in
this FAQ?

Pull up the wire circle - pull it off the compost. Or
un-hitch it so it's not a circle anymore.

Move the wire circle to a new spot. Fork the compost into
the new spot.

We use a wire fencing circle for compost too, but we just
leave it, all this forking business is too much work - it
will slowly decompose all by itself. Slowly.

Pat

Yep, we do the same. Our piles are slower but have always performed
well over the years.
Old 31-07-2003, 07:02 PM
NC_FUBAR

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 20:13:21 -0400, Noydb
wrote:

... but also pet and human
manures of all sorts.

Bill

After living in Italy for several years where they routinely use human
manure for fertilizing and seeing several Americans struck with
Hepatitis I am totally against using dog or human manure anywhere near
my edible plants!

Have also read in several places that cooked meat, bones, and
human/pet manure should not be included in compost materials.

Lee

JMTCW