Old 31-07-2003, 02:42 PM
Andrew McMichael

Default The corn saga

So this year, for the first time, I planted corn. I planted about seven or
eight rows of twenty stalks. Soon after planting we had about three days of
torrential rain, which washed away alot of soil--my garden is on a slight
slope. So, I replanted. They came up fine, got to about two feet tall and fell
over during another storm. No problem--put them bag up, hill up around them,
and keep going. Then another really bad storm and a few fell over. I left them
for the next day to fix, but in the middle of the night something came and ate
the ears that had fallen. At first I suspected squirrels, but those critters
aren't usually active at night. Over the course of the past few weeks nearly
*all* my corn has been eaten. I've had out have-a-heart traps, I've sat and
watched it during the day (from distance), nothing. Nothing in the traps,
nothing visible. Lots of corn-filled-poop around the garden, though.

Finally, last night I caught sight of the creature doing it--my
next-door-neighbor's very old, nearly broken-down dog. Lucky I spotted him,
because I was on the verge of "painting" the remaining half-dozen or so ears
with rat poison. This damn dog (which in the past has turned over our garbage,
etc.) has systematically stripped almost every single ear of corn from my
plot. I'm going over to talk to the owner of the dog today, but unfortunately
the guy is the county/city judge, so I can't make alot of legal threats. But
it is taking every ounce of self-control I have not to simply shoot the dog. I
wasn't so mad when I thought it was a raccoon, I could kind of accept
it--nature doing its thing and all. But and irresponsible neighbor ruining
three to four months of hard work and all my corn is a bit more aggravating.
Out of the 150 stalks of corn, I'm going to be lucky to get ten ears. That's
not right.

Andrew
Old 31-07-2003, 05:32 PM
zxcvbob

Andrew McMichael wrote:

[...]

It might help to take the Sheriff with you when you talk to him.

Good luck,
Bob

--
"Stealing a Rhinoceros should not be attempted lightly" --Kehlog Albran

Old 31-07-2003, 06:02 PM
Andrew McMichael

zxcvbob wrote:

Andrew McMichael wrote:
I'm going over to talk to the owner of the dog today, but unfortunately
the guy is the county/city judge,

It might help to take the Sheriff with you when you talk to him.

Ha. Despite this being a city of 50,000, we're pretty rural. Everyone in
politics around here grew up together and are intermarried. The sheriff's
family and the judge's family go *way* back. The judge's family has a school,
a street, a youth center, and the Arts & Sciences part of our college named
after them. The sheriff is a good ole boy. named "Peanuts" Gaines. In a big
city that'd work, around here I'm not so sure.

Andrew
Old 31-07-2003, 07:05 PM
Pat Meadows

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 11:44:17 -0500, Andrew McMichael
wrote:

Ha. Despite this being a city of 50,000, we're pretty rural. Everyone in
politics around here grew up together and are intermarried. The sheriff's
family and the judge's family go *way* back. The judge's family has a school,
a street, a youth center, and the Arts & Sciences part of our college named
after them. The sheriff is a good ole boy. named "Peanuts" Gaines. In a big
city that'd work, around here I'm not so sure.

It seems to me that your best alternative is to fence your
garden sufficiently to keep dogs out.

It's unfair that you have to pay the penalty for an
irresponsible dog owner, but such is life, sometimes.

I have two large dogs, btw, they are most definitely NEVER
allowed to run loose. They are confined (by fencing) to our
own property or walked on a leash.

Pat
Old 31-07-2003, 07:32 PM
Andrew McMichael

wrote:

Ha. Despite this being a city of 50,000, we're pretty rural. Everyone in
politics around here grew up together and are intermarried. The sheriff's
family and the judge's family go *way* back. The judge's family has a school,
a street, a youth center, and the Arts & Sciences part of our college named
after them. The sheriff is a good ole boy. named "Peanuts" Gaines. In a big
city that'd work, around here I'm not so sure.

It seems to me that your best alternative is to fence your
garden sufficiently to keep dogs out.

Most likely I'll use an electric fence with a low charge. Enough to make
something run, but not enough to hurt.

It's unfair that you have to pay the penalty for an
irresponsible dog owner, but such is life, sometimes.

Yep.

Andrew

Old 31-07-2003, 08:22 PM
Gary Woods

Andrew McMichael wrote:

Most likely I'll use an electric fence with a low charge. Enough to make
something run, but not enough to hurt.

In many locations you need that electric fence anyway, to keep out raccoons
and "bubba" woodchuck, known to eat bean leaves three feet up the pole.
Sounds like the dog won't be around too many more seasons anyway.

Old 01-08-2003, 03:37 AM
simy1

wrote:

Ha. Despite this being a city of 50,000, we're pretty rural. Everyone in
politics around here grew up together and are intermarried. The sheriff's
family and the judge's family go *way* back. The judge's family has a school,
a street, a youth center, and the Arts & Sciences part of our college named
after them. The sheriff is a good ole boy. named "Peanuts" Gaines. In a big
city that'd work, around here I'm not so sure.

It seems to me that your best alternative is to fence your
garden sufficiently to keep dogs out.

Most likely I'll use an electric fence with a low charge. Enough to make
something run, but not enough to hurt.

I encourage you to do that. Animals from deer to squirrels only need
to touch it once and they stay away for a long time. You will re-use
the fence, guaranteed. In fact, in my case it is permanently attached
to the top of the fence surrounding my garden. I turn it on about once
a year, when I see something eaten, for a couple of days. It only
costs 19.99.
Old 01-08-2003, 03:37 AM
Philip

Check your local laws, I bet there's a law on the books about dogs wandering
loose. Even here, out in the county as opposed to the local towns, where I
live there is a law that says that dogs have to be confined to the property
or on a leash. The very least that judge owes you is an apology, and
probably there's some financial recompense owed as well.

Philip

Old 01-08-2003, 03:37 AM
Aaron Baugher

Andrew McMichael writes:

Finally, last night I caught sight of the creature doing it--my
next-door-neighbor's very old, nearly broken-down dog. Lucky I
spotted him, because I was on the verge of "painting" the remaining
half-dozen or so ears with rat poison. This damn dog (which in the
past has turned over our garbage, etc.) has systematically stripped
almost every single ear of corn from my plot.

Did you actually see the dog pulling down ears and eating them? I
suppose that's possible, but this sounds like classic coon damage.
I'm wondering if the dog was after racoon spoor.

Either way, electric fence is probably the answer. As someone else
said, if you have much wildlife in your area at all, sweet corn is a
major target for many different critters, including some, like coons,
that can climb just about anything.

--
Aaron