Old 01-08-2003, 02:42 PM
Chris & Jessie Davis

Default Small White Fly's

Could someone please help me by telling me how to get rid of these small
white fly's on the undersides of my tomatos leaves as well as several
outdoor ornamental plants. Thanks for any help you might have.
Chris

Old 02-08-2003, 06:32 AM
Phaedrine Stonebridge

In article ,
"Chris & Jessie Davis" wrote:

Could someone please help me by telling me how to get rid of these small
white fly's on the undersides of my tomatos leaves as well as several
outdoor ornamental plants. Thanks for any help you might have.
Chris

We have an unelievable invasion of them this year for some reason.
Old 02-08-2003, 01:02 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Chris & Jessie Davis said:

Could someone please help me by telling me how to get rid of these small
white fly's on the undersides of my tomatos leaves as well as several
outdoor ornamental plants. Thanks for any help you might have.

Vacuum them off the top of the plants; put the vacuum bag in the freezer to kill the
flies.

Wash the young crawlers off with a strong spray of water. Do it in the morning,
at least three times, every other day. You could also try spraying a mix of soap
and seaweed to kill them.

Yellow stick traps placed in between the plants will catch them (but may also
catch beneficial insects).

There is a predatory insect that can be purchased for whitefly control in the
greenhouse, _Encarsia formosa_.

Plants that are short of phosphorous are said to be particularly prone to attract
whitefly. Plants that are well-supplied with magnesium are less attractive.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 03-08-2003, 05:02 AM
Noydb

Pat Kiewicz wrote:

Yellow stick traps placed in between the plants will catch them (but may
also catch beneficial insects).

I use these traps every year and they seem to do the job just fine.

Just cut a sheet of yellow poster board into strips, fasten them in your
garden somehow about 12" off the ground and smear with a bit of Tree
Tanglefoot or similar product.

Weak plants have a yellow tinge to the leaves that the whiteflys can see.
Normally this means an easy meal for them. Unless, of course, the "leaf" is
actually a strip of paper with goo smeared on it.

Bill

--
Zone 5b (Detroit, MI)

Old 03-08-2003, 11:12 AM
Jan Flora

In article , Noydb
wrote:

Pat Kiewicz wrote:

Yellow stick traps placed in between the plants will catch them (but may
also catch beneficial insects).

I use these traps every year and they seem to do the job just fine.

Just cut a sheet of yellow poster board into strips, fasten them in your
garden somehow about 12" off the ground and smear with a bit of Tree
Tanglefoot or similar product.

Weak plants have a yellow tinge to the leaves that the whiteflys can see.
Normally this means an easy meal for them. Unless, of course, the "leaf" is
actually a strip of paper with goo smeared on it.

Bill

Vaseline on yellow card stock will work too.

Jan

Old 03-08-2003, 03:32 PM
Noydb

Jan Flora wrote:

Vaseline on yellow card stock will work too.

Jan

Great suggestion!
I'm out of TreeTanglefoot and was spraying the strips with 3M adhesive
spray. :-)

Tanks!
Bill

BTW, a week after placing the strips in my garden, I can no longer raise up
a cloud of whiteflys by brushing against my beans. One thing I bumped into
(in Pat K's response) was that the whiteflys are a "bio-indicator" in that
their presence suggests a soil mineral shortage (phosporous / magnesium).
Perhaps it's time to reach for the Epsom salts.

--
Zone 5b (Detroit, MI)

Old 05-08-2003, 02:02 PM
Chris & Jessie Davis

Vaseline on yellow card stock will work too.

Jan

Great suggestion!
I'm out of TreeTanglefoot and was spraying the strips with 3M adhesive
spray. :-)

Tanks!
Bill

BTW, a week after placing the strips in my garden, I can no longer raise

up
a cloud of whiteflys by brushing against my beans. One thing I bumped into
(in Pat K's response) was that the whiteflys are a "bio-indicator" in that
their presence suggests a soil mineral shortage (phosporous / magnesium).
Perhaps it's time to reach for the Epsom salts.

Thanks all for the advice . I"m going out today to try out the yellow paper
and adhesive . Chris