Old 03-08-2003, 12:42 AM
chileBeasT

Default Why won't my peppers ripen?

Not all peppers will ripen at the same rate. Some will be ready
earlier than others and not all peppers turn red when they are ripe. Too
many ripe peppers on the bush and the plant will stop flowering. Never
let them all get completely ripe on the bush, or pepper production will
stop. Once they are full size peppers, they are ready to eat.

Old 03-08-2003, 02:12 AM
V_coerulea

Nothing's wrong unless your weather is too cool. Most of the larger types of
peppers just take a good long time in warm temps to turn color (ripen). Most
seed packs list times to green harvest stage. Ripened peppers just take more
patience.
Gary

"Colin Malsingh" wrote in message
I have had large peppers on various plants in my greenhouse now for
4-5 weeks:
- Paprika (about 14 cm long)
- Hot Banana (about 10cm long)
- Various sweet peppers
- Trinidad non-bell peppers

The Paprika and Chillis have stayed resolutely green all this time
(including some hot sunny periods in June/July). In the meantime the
Trinidad peppers have produced fruit which has turned red and ripened
nicely. Is there anything holding back the first two types?

Colin
-----
(Sorry - no direct email. Please reply via the newsgroup)

Old 03-08-2003, 04:02 PM
Noydb

Charlie wrote:

So if I keep picking when they're nearly red they'll throw out more
flowers?

Charlie.

"chileBeasT" wrote in message
Not all peppers will ripen at the same rate. Some will be ready
earlier than others and not all peppers turn red when they are ripe. Too
many ripe peppers on the bush and the plant will stop flowering. Never
let them all get completely ripe on the bush, or pepper production will
stop. Once they are full size peppers, they are ready to eat.

Depending on the temperature, the hours of sunlight, the moisture and
nutrient levels, pest pressures and so on, 'yes'.

The general answer is 'yes'. As a fruit ripens it sends the plant hormones
that tell it not to set more fruit but to focus on ripening the one that is
nearing success. For a fruiting plant, success = fertile seeds. The more
fruit reaching advanced stages of ripeness, the less likely a plant is to
set new blooms. It may well be that the plant will continue setting blooms
occaisionally, but the quantity of them generally will decrease markedly.

Pay attention to the calendar. Once the weather turns chilly there will be
no more blooms anyhow so you may want to let the last 'batch' of peppers
finish ripening on the bush. I find that peppers in my garden are
sufficiently prolific that I can get all I need by letting them all ripen.
But then, we don't eat huge quantities of peppers and pick for the table as
we go with a final flush of harvest in the fall.

In time you will learn to judge your response to the plants based on what
you need from them. If you are growing them for fully ripe, don't pick them
green and just accept that you may need to plant an extra few plants in the
spring to get the quantity you need in the fall.

Hope this helps. Might be "too much information".

Bill
--
Zone 5b (Detroit, MI)

Old 03-08-2003, 07:22 PM
Charlie

"Noydb" wrote in message
Charlie wrote:

In time you will learn to judge your response to the plants based on what
you need from them. If you are growing them for fully ripe, don't pick

them
green and just accept that you may need to plant an extra few plants in

the
spring to get the quantity you need in the fall.

Hope this helps. Might be "too much information".

Oh no, that's great info! My pepper plants are in a greenhouse but they
don't get all that much sun and my first one just ripened yesterday!

Charlie.

Old 03-08-2003, 10:02 PM
chileBeasT

Yep, keep picking and they keep blooming!