Old 03-08-2003, 01:12 PM
Registered User

Default Pollinating a Lemon Tree

Me and my mum planted a lemon pip about a year ago and it has grown happily into a plant approx. 3 feet high.

When flowers arrive on the tree what do I need to do with them?
Do I just leave the pplant outside or do I need to somehow pollinate it myself.

Also, when it has been pollinated approx. how long do lemons take to grow?

Thnaks for any help
Old 09-08-2003, 02:33 PM
M. Tiefert

In article , John Savage wrote:
Kirkyboy writes:

Do I just leave the pplant outside or do I need to somehow pollinate it
myself.

I imagine they are pollinated by bees, but I really haven't wondered
otherwise until you asked. I know that bees seem to love citrus blooms.

Hummingbirds too!

cheers,

Marj

* * *
Marj Tiefert: http://www.mindspring.com/~mtiefert/
Mediterranean Garden Shop: http://stores.tiefert.com/garden/
In Sunset zone 14-mild
Old 10-08-2003, 08:22 AM
John Savage

Kirkyboy writes:
Me and my mum planted a lemon pip about a year ago and it has grown
happily into a plant approx. 3 feet high.

I have done the same. Very satisfying when it does so well, isn't it?
My seedling tree is now about 10 years old, and an impressive bearer.

When flowers arrive on the tree what do I need to do with them?

Admire them. Savour the fragrance. Even sing to them. Just don't pick 'em.

Do I just leave the pplant outside or do I need to somehow pollinate it
myself.

I imagine they are pollinated by bees, but I really haven't wondered
otherwise until you asked. I know that bees seem to love citrus blooms.

Also, when it has been pollinated approx. how long do lemons take to
grow?

Oh, 4 or 5 months in warm summer weather, at a guess. Keep it well
watered, especially in hot weather, as the first thing a lemon tree
under stress will do is jettison the young fruit! Lots of mulch and
compost will extend the periods between waterings.

Lemon Tree Advice to a newbie please: Is it wide enough to plant mynew bought lemon tree? [email protected] Gardening 2 25-05-2008 04:22 AM
Pollinating phalaenopsis Dada Orchids 0 21-03-2004 04:44 PM
Pollinating phalaenopsis Dustin Orchids 6 21-03-2004 03:00 PM
hand pollinating question.... GardeningGuy Gardening 3 15-06-2003 02:32 PM
Pollinating Reed-Stem Epidendrums (Small Flowers). Larry Dighera Orchids 12 12-05-2003 05:44 PM