GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Re(2): Spent mushroom soil (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/39504-re-2-spent-mushroom-soil.html)

Glenna Rose 05-08-2003 11:12 PM

Re(2): Spent mushroom soil

writes:

You might check:

http://www.americanmushroom.org/compost.htm

Thank you. That was very informative. No wonder mushrooms are so
expensive in the stores!

Glenna

simy1 06-08-2003 03:02 AM

Re(2): Spent mushroom soil

(Glenna Rose) wrote in message news:fc.003d094101a23edc3b9aca0036f6f219.1a23ee5@ pmug.org...
writes:

You might check:

http://www.americanmushroom.org/compost.htm

Thank you. That was very informative. No wonder mushrooms are so
expensive in the stores!

Glenna

not really. Growers routinely achieve efficiencies over 100% (weight
of produced mushrooms versus dry weight of soil). But they are labor
intensive, and very perishable. Supermarket mushrooms are terrible -
definitely one veggie worth growing, specially considering that
homegrowing is not labor intensive.

Pat Meadows 06-08-2003 01:02 PM

Re(2): Spent mushroom soil

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 15:01:55 -0700, (Glenna
Rose) wrote:

writes:

You might check:

http://www.americanmushroom.org/compost.htm

Thank you. That was very informative. No wonder mushrooms are so
expensive in the stores!

Yep. It's my understanding that almost all the mushrooms
grown commercially in the USA are grown in Southeastern PA -
and I believe they are grown in old coal mines.

The Delmarva Peninsula is a very large chicken/egg producing
area and it wouldn't be far to truck the chicken manure
component to the mushroom-growing area - so maybe that's
where they get the chicken manure part of the compost.

Pat

SugarChile 06-08-2003 02:32 PM

Re(2): Spent mushroom soil

No coal mines in this part of the state. There are a fair number of natural
limestone caves, where mushrooms were once grown, but they are now grown in
climate controlled mushroom houses, which are partially underground. The
industry is centered here mainly because it started here and mushroomed from
there.....It's a tricky way to make a living; the canned mushroom market,
which used to be a staple, has withered due to foreign competition, and
producers have had to switch to marketing fresh, specialty mushrooms.

Here's an article, long and slightly technical, but quite interesting. It
goes into detail about compost production. Many of the mushroom farms are
now surrounded by encroaching suburbs, with residents that complain about
the smells.
http://aginfo.psu.edu/PSA/s99/mushroom1.html

Cheers,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

zxcvbob 06-08-2003 05:32 PM

Spent mushroom soil

SugarChile wrote:
...Many of the mushroom farms are
now surrounded by encroaching suburbs, with residents that complain about
the smells.

http://aginfo.psu.edu/PSA/s99/mushroom1.html

Stupid city folk moving out to the country next to an existing farm and
complaining about because it doesn't smell like a fabric softener
commercial.

Bob

Glenna Rose 06-08-2003 07:02 PM

Spent mushroom soil

writes:

Stupid city folk moving out to the country next to an existing farm and
complaining about because it doesn't smell like a fabric softener
commercial.

Bob

Yup. Just like those who build at the end of an airport runway and
complain about the airport noise or those who buy in a newly built
subdivision next to a turkey farm and complain about the smell. In our
county, both were eventually closed because of the constant complaints.
Stinks, doesn't it? (no pun intended)

Glenna

KK from NJ 06-08-2003 09:12 PM

Spent mushroom soil

Glenna
Yup. Just like those who build at the end of an airport runway

We live very close to the flight path into Teterboro Airport, NJ. 30 years ago
it was a homey little pitstop. My grandpa even keep his little piper cub there.
Things have really changed.

len 06-08-2003 11:33 PM

Spent mushroom soil

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Stupid city folk moving out to the country next to an existing farm and
complaining about because it doesn't smell like a fabric softener
commercial.

Bob

Yeah, no doubt, but they seem to get their way, usualy:{ Len

Mike Stevenson 06-08-2003 11:42 PM

Spent mushroom soil

It's becuase of money I'm sure. A county can get a crap load more taxes out
of putting 4 or 5 single family homes on an acre over what they can get from
a farm...

Mike Stevenson 07-08-2003 03:23 AM

Spent mushroom soil

news:fc.003d094101a25b063b9aca0036f6f219.1a25b16@p mug.org...

Pat Kiewicz 07-08-2003 11:12 AM

Spent mushroom soil

Mike Stevenson said:

It's becuase of money I'm sure. A county can get a crap load more taxes out
of putting 4 or 5 single family homes on an acre over what they can get from
a farm...

Penny wise and pound foolish, though. The 4 or 5 single family homes will
demand far more in services than the farmer ever will -- more than their taxes
will cover, usually.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Mike Stevenson 07-08-2003 01:32 PM

Spent mushroom soil

I totally agree. And moreso the long term impact from the economic loss, in
terms of jobs and commercial revenue, due to the closing of a thriving
business, can turn out to be very devestating to a community...

Noydb 09-08-2003 08:02 PM

Spent mushroom soil

zxcvbob wrote:

SugarChile wrote:
...Many of the mushroom farms are
now surrounded by encroaching suburbs, with residents that complain about
the smells.

http://aginfo.psu.edu/PSA/s99/mushroom1.html

Stupid city folk moving out to the country next to an existing farm and
complaining about because it doesn't smell like a fabric softener
commercial.

Bob

Aromas are 'learned'. I live near Livonia, MI and there is a full-tilt
turkey farm inside city limits yet it is rated among the most desireable
cities in America to live in.

Bill
--
Zone 5b (Detroit, MI)