Old 07-08-2003, 09:02 PM
dstvns

Default Butternut squash leaf "problem"?

Hello,

This year and also last year, in separate locations, I've planted
butternut squash. In both places the squash leaves turned white near
the center, and the white proceeds out into the veined areas of the
leaf. All other squashes (acorn, spaghetti) and pumpkins are
fine...no sign of this problem.

I don't think it's powdery mildew. I've had powdery mildew in the
past and it eventually covers the entire leaf, then extends towards
other nearby squash & pumpkins like a plague. This is centralized
toward the center of older leaves (new growth on these plants is fully
green...no sign of white in the center).

These areas are fairly sunny, with about 6 hrs of direct sun and both
areas had very rich soil. Any ideas? Thanks,

Dan

PS In a good turnaround, the rainy weather this year has kept powdery
mildew to a minimum. Last years drought made it horrendous.

Old 09-08-2003, 02:32 PM
Noydb

dstvns wrote:

[...]

Dan,
Could you post a photo somewhere ... and also let us know where the
garden is located?

Bill
--
Zone 5b (Detroit, MI)

Old 09-08-2003, 02:32 PM
dstvns

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 23:33:49 -0400, Noydb
wrote:

Could you post a photo somewhere ... and also let us know where the
garden is located?

Sorry, northwest NJ zone 5 microclimate (it is definetly not zone
6...that particular zone is down in the valleys, they are usually 2-3
weeks ahead of us).

I looked at it today, it is definetly along the veins of the butternut
leaves, not really in the center but definetly along the veins.
Powdery-mildew white, but I don't think it's powdery mildew. I will
get a picture soon.

Dan