Old 10-08-2003, 12:22 AM
Indictorfands

Default Repelling of groundhogs

Any ideas?
Old 10-08-2003, 04:32 AM
SugarChile

They don't repel easily....I've had some success using cayenne pepper
sprinkled on susceptible young plants; you need to reapply frequently. I
have better luck bribing mine--he loves cantaloupe rinds and sweet corn
cobs. I leave them at the edge of the compost pile, which is between his
hole and the garden, and he stays happy/distracted enough to stay out of the
garden. I also send the dog to chase it when I can, but she's a lab and not
too terrifying.

The only permanent solution is to fence in the garden, or kill/trap the
groundhog. If you get rid of the groundhog, another one will often to claim
the same territory.

Cheers
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

"Indictorfands" wrote in message
Any ideas?

Old 10-08-2003, 01:32 PM
Pat Meadows

On 09 Aug 2003 23:11:18 GMT,
(Indictorfands) wrote:

Any ideas?

Shotgun. Or sizeable dogs.

Pat
Old 10-08-2003, 03:22 PM
B. Joshua Rosen

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 23:11:18 +0000, Indictorfands wrote:

Any ideas?

I named my groundhog Turing, if you name an animal he becomes a pet rather
than a pest.
Old 11-08-2003, 06:08 AM
Fudge

Live trap baited with apple. Deport to Botswana or euthanize immediately.
They are the rodent from Hell.

Farmer John

Old 11-08-2003, 06:08 AM
Marc

An expert gardener informed me that the battery-powered in-ground stakes are
ineffective.

Marc

Old 11-08-2003, 06:08 AM
Indictorfands

thanks,marc!
7 replies so far-NO MAGIC CURE YET!

dad
Old 11-08-2003, 03:03 PM
Pat Meadows

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 19:26:47 -0400, "Fudge"
wrote:

Live trap baited with apple. Deport to Botswana or euthanize immediately.
They are the rodent from Hell.

You got that right! I've no particularly merciful feelings
about groundhogs.

So far in our present location, they've not been a problem.
The veggie garden is inside the dogs' fenced area. The
veggie garden itself is fenced - to keep the dogs out, and
to keep rabbits out.

However, we just changed the fencing around to expand the
garden, and now one side of the garden is not protected by
the dogs. We'll see how it goes.

Pat
Old 12-08-2003, 01:22 PM
NS9G

"Indictorfands" wrote in message
Any ideas?

All you need is a rifle and a shovel.
--
73 de Bob NS9G

Old 14-08-2003, 10:12 PM
Prof.Zooks

SugarChile wrote:

They don't repel easily....I've had some success using cayenne pepper
sprinkled on susceptible young plants; you need to reapply frequently. I
have better luck bribing mine--he loves cantaloupe rinds and sweet corn
cobs. I leave them at the edge of the compost pile, which is between his
hole and the garden, and he stays happy/distracted enough to stay out of the
garden. I also send the dog to chase it when I can, but she's a lab and not
too terrifying.

The only permanent solution is to fence in the garden, or kill/trap the
groundhog. If you get rid of the groundhog, another one will often to claim
the same territory.

Cheers
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

"Indictorfands" wrote in message
Any ideas?

Electric fence will stop them unless you have dry weather. Lot of maint.
but may be worth it. You can also try dusting plants with dried blood or
rock phosphate. Lots of applications needed...

Regards,
PZ.

Old 14-08-2003, 11:06 PM
Minteeleaf

My parents' garden--200x100, was overrun by groundhogs
during occasional years. My dad was a good hunter & shot
them. He cleaned & skinned them & Mom made stew.
Pretty good.

I'd shoot them myself. It's them or your produce.

Minteeleaf
Old 22-08-2003, 07:32 PM
Seamus Ma' Cleriec

Before moving to Pa. we lived in the Shenadoah Valley of Va. and had a
pet groundhog.
My daughter named our groundhog "Harvey" - though he definitly was not
invisible :-).

The neighbor at the time owned a construction company and handled the
critters by dynamiting thier burrows - I kid you not !

"B. Joshua Rosen" wrote in message . ..
On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 23:11:18 +0000, Indictorfands wrote:

Any ideas?

I named my groundhog Turing, if you name an animal he becomes a pet rather
than a pest.

Deer Repellent price is repelling WesD North Carolina 0 15-07-2011 12:46 AM
Repelling Bees [email protected] Ponds 7 09-06-2005 04:37 PM
repelling groundhogs FREDERICK INDICTOR Edible Gardening 19 28-03-2005 03:39 PM
repelling groundhogs FREDERICK INDICTOR Edible Gardening 0 23-03-2005 05:34 PM
Repelling skeeters JNJ Gardening 7 16-05-2003 07:32 AM