GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   cuke problem (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/40188-cuke-problem.html)

Simon Stenkle 12-08-2003 01:23 AM

cuke problem

My cuke plants are dying. The grew nicely until they began to produce cukes
and then they began to wilt and turn yellow and die. Any help would be
appreciated.

simon

V_coerulea 12-08-2003 02:02 AM

cuke problem

Not enough info. Where are you growing? Is it relatively hot, cold, wet,
dry, good soil, sand, clay, pots, buggy (evidence of cuke beetles?),
wilt-resistant seed? No doctor could diagnose "Well, he was fine until he
turned 25. Then he got sickly and died."
Gary

Simon Stenkle 12-08-2003 07:02 PM

cuke problem

I'm growing them outside in good soil. I live in the NE US so it has been
extremely wet. However nothing else in the garden has been effected
negatively by the weather. Cuke beetles probably aren't the problem as the
leaves are not being eaten, but they are present in small numbers. I am
growing poona kheera(an heirloom variety, and marketmore.

simon

V_coerulea 13-08-2003 04:14 AM

cuke problem

Are both affected? Marketmore should be ok if it's wilt spread by the
beetles. I assume the heirloom is not resistant. Temps have been down due to
the excessive rain which may also be affecting their growth. The heavy rains
in heavy soil may also be promoting root rot. It's unusual for vine borer to
be in cukes but it might during heavy rainy seasons. Check for frass, or
sawdust nearby and you might find a borer hole. Slice vine lengthwise until
you find the borer and destroy it. It's probably one of those 3 things -
borer, wilt, or root rot.

. ..

"V_coerulea" wrote in message
Not enough info. Where are you growing? Is it relatively hot, cold, wet,
dry, good soil, sand, clay, pots, buggy (evidence of cuke beetles?),
wilt-resistant seed? No doctor could diagnose "Well, he was fine until

he
turned 25. Then he got sickly and died."
Gary

"Simon Stenkle" wrote in message
My cuke plants are dying. The grew nicely until they began to produce

cukes
and then they began to wilt and turn yellow and die. Any help would

be
appreciated.

simon

14-08-2003 10:12 PM

cuke problem

Simon Stenkle writes:

Simon I'm growing them outside in good soil. I live in the NE US so it has been
Simon extremely wet. However nothing else in the garden has been effected
Simon negatively by the weather. Cuke beetles probably aren't the problem as the
Simon leaves are not being eaten, but they are present in small numbers. I am
Simon growing poona kheera(an heirloom variety, and marketmore.

I believe cuke beetles carry a virus that causes problems
similar to yours. Radishs are supposed to repel the beetles,
and I have gotten an extra months growth of my cukes since
I surrounded them by unpicked radishes.

Simon simon
news ...

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in rec.gardens.edible...)

14-08-2003 10:12 PM

cuke problem