GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   protecting pumpkins? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/40408-protecting-pumpkins.html)

rosie readandpost 14-08-2003 04:14 PM

protecting pumpkins?

we are growing a couple of pumpkins, (whew, the vines!)
should i be turning them? newspaper underneath them?
anything?

--
read and post daily, it works!
rosie

"Intelligence is not to make no mistakes
but to quickly see how to make the good"
-- The Measures Taken

len brauer 14-08-2003 07:42 PM

protecting pumpkins?

i don't do anything with mine just leave them until the vine begins to
die then pick them. also found by accident that the stem can break
real easy if you try to move the fruit.

len

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 10:01:54 -0500, "rosie readandpost"
wrote:

we are growing a couple of pumpkins, (whew, the vines!)
should i be turning them? newspaper underneath them?
anything?

--
happy gardening

http://hub.dataline.net.au/~gardnlen/

Mark & Shauna 15-08-2003 04:37 AM

protecting pumpkins?

if your ground is wet a small bed of dry grass clippings or hay can be
very helpfull in preventing rot/soft spots. Also, you can play around
with the shape by rolling them gently (watch the stem) if you want.

Mark

dstvns 15-08-2003 06:35 AM

protecting pumpkins?

wrote:

we are growing a couple of pumpkins, (whew, the vines!)
should i be turning them? newspaper underneath them?
anything?

A flat brick. Keeps them from getting soft underneath.

We've had so much rain and clouds that when the afternoon sun hit the
acorn squash today it started wilting and nearly dying from the
intense rays. It sprouted back just as soon as the sun went down
behind some trees. They are gonna be big ones this year, I'm alread
getting the maple syrup ready heheh

Dan

Andrew McMichael 15-08-2003 02:42 PM

protecting pumpkins?

Mark & Shauna wrote:

if your ground is wet a small bed of dry grass clippings or hay can be
very helpfull in preventing rot/soft spots. Also, you can play around
with the shape by rolling them gently (watch the stem) if you want.

There was a guy who sold pumpkin molds a while back. Put the young pumpkin in
it and it grows into the shape of the mold. He had faces like Nixon, Reagan,
etc. Probably someone still sells this stuff.

Andrew

MacTech 16-08-2003 12:05 AM

protecting pumpkins?

My husband grows Big Max pumpkins. That's what we have this year. In
the past, he's grown Atlantic Giants, too. When the pumpkins are still
small, he carefully stands them up, and as they grow bigger, he
carefully lifts up the vine from the top so the pumpkin has more room
to grow. So far so good that none of the vines have broken off. We
mulch the pumpkin patch with old hay before the vines get out of hand,
so we haven't had a problem with rot. Not that it would be a problem
this year. We live in west central Wisconsin, and it is very hot and
very dry this year. Over the past month, we've gotten a half inch of
rain total.

Good luck with your pumpkins!

LeAnn

Author of the book —
Christmas In Dairyland (True Stories From a Wisc. Farm)
Visit — http://ruralroute2.com
to read sample chapters and other Rural Route 2 stories
and to order the book.
(FREE shipping on autographed copies)