Old 15-08-2003, 09:02 PM
The Popovics

Default Just picked my first tomatoes!!!!!!

My husband and I built a raised bed for tomatoes this year, and I got carried
away and planted 22 plants. I just came from the tomato patch- I picked two
Cherokee Purple and one Celebrity. The purple ones were small, and beginning
to crack. The remaining tomatoes are much bigger, but not turning ripe yet. I
have one more Celebrity to pick in a couple of days. This is the first time
I've planted either variety- this year is a big experiment, trying several
different kinds of tomatoes. I know it has been a bad year- what a time to try
a project like this!!!!!!!!!

Caroline in Pittsburgh, Pa.
Old 16-08-2003, 12:32 AM
Noydb

The Popovics wrote:

My husband and I built a raised bed for tomatoes this year, and I got
carried away and planted 22 plants. I just came from the tomato patch- I
picked two Cherokee Purple and one Celebrity. The purple ones were small,
and beginning to crack. The remaining tomatoes are much bigger, but not
turning ripe yet. I have one more Celebrity to pick in a couple of days.
This is the first time I've planted either variety- this year is a big
experiment, trying several different kinds of tomatoes. I know it has been
a bad year- what a time to try a project like this!!!!!!!!!

Caroline in Pittsburgh, Pa.

I've been getting green ones for frying for a couple of weeks but yesterday
picked my first two ripe Mortgage Lifters. I'll keep one of them for seed
and eat the other as soon as 'the missus' gets back from the store with
some bread. (We were in the blackout and without bread. If I'd known we
didn't have any bread for it, I'd have waited to pick it.

Bill

Today I gave away about a peck of green tomatoes to a neighbor. We have 7
Mortgage Lifters and it looks like we are going to be swamped.
--
Zone 5b (Detroit, MI)

Old 17-08-2003, 03:42 AM
Dwayne

Did you and your husband spend any time in the Air Force?
Popovics sure looks familiar.

Dwayne