Old 18-08-2003, 03:10 PM
Registered User

Location: London
Default Tomato seeds, supermarket or packet?

Hi all,

I was planning on growing some tomatoes next year.

What is the difference between the tomato seeds that i take out of a supermarket bought tomato and ready packaged tomato seeds.

Would it make any difference in yield between the two different type of seeds. Ie taking seed out myself from a ripe tomato, or a ready bought packet?

thanks in advnace.
Old 18-08-2003, 06:22 PM
Bill Bolle

--
dommy

For your main crop use seeds supplied by a garden supply source---you
can sort of depend on getting tomatoes of the variety chosen. But,
for fun, try some of the seeds that you take from supermarket
tomatoes---see what tomatoes you get, you may, or may not, be
pleasantly surprised. Gardening should also include a growth of
knowledge and be fun.

Bill

Old 29-08-2003, 01:43 AM
zalzon

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 13:12:40 GMT, dommy
wrote:

Hi all,

I was planning on growing some tomatoes next year.

What is the difference between the tomato seeds that i take out of a
supermarket bought tomato and ready packaged tomato seeds.

Would it make any difference in yield between the two different type of
seeds. Ie taking seed out myself from a ripe tomato, or a ready bought
packet?

thanks in advnace.

I've usually found that large supermarket tomatoes produce pretty
decent results even though many are probably hybrids.

What I suggest however is that you order some HEIRLOOM tomatoes and
have some fun growing them. You are familiar with red tomatoes but
did you know there are yellow, black, brown, striped, green, purple,
pink and white..etc colored tomatoes? About the only tomato color
that does not exist is blue. There are small grape sized, cherry
sized, regular and beefstake sized tomatoes.

You can order seeds from many places on the internet. There are a
great many varieties to choose from. Don't just limit yourself to
red, try something different and you won't regret it. I recommend
yellow tomatoes.

Old 29-08-2003, 05:38 AM
Glenna Rose

writes:

What I suggest however is that you order some HEIRLOOM tomatoes and
have some fun growing them. You are familiar with red tomatoes but
did you know there are yellow, black, brown, striped, green, purple,
pink and white..etc colored tomatoes? About the only tomato color
that does not exist is blue. There are small grape sized, cherry
sized, regular and beefstake sized tomatoes.

Yes! You can see a few of those on my last year's not-updated webpage at:
http://www.pacifier.com/~glenna
Go to the bottom and click on the individual tomato photos for pictures
taken in 2001. Though there are only photos of 1/4-1/3 of the varieties I
grew that year (and the following year), it'll sure give you an idea of
what's available.

The ones shown are all heirlooms.

Glenna

Old 29-08-2003, 05:02 PM
Jim Carter

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 20:23:35 -0700, (Glenna Rose) wrote in
rec.gardens.edible:

Yes! You can see a few of those on my last year's not-updated webpage at:
http://www.pacifier.com/~glenna

Nice photos! Thank-you for sharing them with us.
--
Spelling and grammatical errors are deliberate
to catch copyright violators. ©¿©¬
Old 28-01-2012, 12:13 PM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dommy View Post
Hi all,

I was planning on growing some tomatoes next year.

What is the difference between the tomato seeds that i take out of a supermarket bought tomato and ready packaged tomato seeds.

Would it make any difference in yield between the two different type of seeds. Ie taking seed out myself from a ripe tomato, or a ready bought packet?

thanks in advnace.
google the variety name and if it is F1 it will not come true