Old 19-08-2003, 07:12 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default will peppers ripen after being picked...like tomatoes?

Will peppers ripen after being picked...like tomatoes?

Does heat help the ripening process? Dryness?

The very first three cayennes peppers turned bright red...seemingly
overnight. I never noticed them changing. Since then only one pepper
in the garden has started to turn. And after five days since starting
only one side of the pepper is bright red. The rest is very green.

All of my tomatoes are showing ripening including my Burpee Burgers
which are slowly turning through blends of yellow and orange to red.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener
Old 19-08-2003, 07:42 PM
Pat Meadows

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 17:02:06 GMT, DigitalVinyl
wrote:

Will peppers ripen after being picked...like tomatoes?

They never have for me.

Does heat help the ripening process? Dryness?

Probably. (On the plant, I assume you mean.)

The very first three cayennes peppers turned bright red...seemingly
overnight. I never noticed them changing. Since then only one pepper
in the garden has started to turn. And after five days since starting
only one side of the pepper is bright red. The rest is very green.

All of my tomatoes are showing ripening including my Burpee Burgers
which are slowly turning through blends of yellow and orange to red.

Some good eating shortly!

Pat
Old 19-08-2003, 08:12 PM
DigitalVinyl

wrote:

Will peppers ripen after being picked...like tomatoes?

They never have for me.

Does heat help the ripening process? Dryness?

Probably. (On the plant, I assume you mean.)

The very first three cayennes peppers turned bright red...seemingly
overnight. I never noticed them changing. Since then only one pepper
in the garden has started to turn. And after five days since starting
only one side of the pepper is bright red. The rest is very green.

All of my tomatoes are showing ripening including my Burpee Burgers
which are slowly turning through blends of yellow and orange to red.

Some good eating shortly!

Actually I've been eating them about 2 weeks now, the 4th of July
started around the 4th of August. My Healthy Kick plums have been
producing ripe ones about a week. I just picked tomato & basil to
slice on my sandwich.

I sometimes just carry the salt shaker out to the plants. Although I
think I like them more when they've chilled a little.

I've also got Baby Bear pumpkins[planted too early for Halloween ],
Jalapenos, cayennes, anaheims and plenty of green bells. The raw
Jalapeno was hot, even with sour cream. My mouth was tingling a
half-hour later. Have to make stuffed jalapenos soon...garden
vegetable cream cheese or chorizo and diced cajun shrimp, mmmm.

I just finished lunch and I'm still thinking about food!

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener
Old 19-08-2003, 08:22 PM
Pat Meadows

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 18:09:49 GMT, DigitalVinyl
wrote:

I just finished lunch and I'm still thinking about food!

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener

I think you're hooked now... You're a gardener, for better
or for worse.

Pat
Old 19-08-2003, 09:02 PM
Dawn

DigitalVinyl wrote:

Will peppers ripen after being picked...like tomatoes?

Mine do. I bring them in with the tomatoes and leave them in a big bowl
on the counter and they change color over a period of several days. They
ripen slower than the tomatoes, but as long as they aren't getting soft
I just leave them there at room temp and they do their thing.

Putting them in the fridge seems to immediately kill the ripening process.

Dawn

Old 20-08-2003, 05:02 AM
Dianna Visek

wrote:

Will peppers ripen after being picked...like tomatoes?

I've been very surprised at the behavior of cayennes. When I pick
everything right before frost and make ristras, almost all the green
ones turn red.

I haven't observed what happens with other varieties.

Regards, Dianna
To reply, please remove "fluff" from my address.
Old 20-08-2003, 07:22 AM
Grilled Spam tastes yummi !!

"DigitalVinyl" wrote in message
Will peppers ripen after being picked...like tomatoes?

Yes.

Old 21-08-2003, 04:12 AM
Phaedrine Stonebridge

In article ,
DigitalVinyl wrote:

I sometimes just carry the salt shaker out to the plants. Although I
think I like them more when they've chilled a little.

(:-)