Old 21-08-2003, 07:32 AM
Bobbett

Default hot pepper question

I bought what I *thought* was a cayenne pepper plant from a nursery
earlier this season. I'm in zone 6 (NJ). The plant *finally* produced
some peppers, but they're still green and getting bigger every day!
Right now they're almost 9" long. I doubt very much these are (red)
cayenne peppers. Since they're probably not going to change from green
to red, how will I know when they're ripe to pick?

tia, Bobbett
--
Third star to the right and straight on 'til mid-afternoon...

Old 21-08-2003, 01:32 PM
Penny Morgan

If you wait long enough, the peppers will turn red. You can pick peppers at
any stage and eat them. Your best bet is to just pick one and try it. If
it's sweet tasting, then you know you've got a sweet, mild pepper. If it's
hot, then enjoy. You can also freeze peppers whole. I've grown so many
different types of hot and sweet peppers to use in canning salsa. I always
end up with extra. I ziploc them in freezer bags and use them in chili or
stir fries throughout the winter months. This year I only grew cayenne,
green bell, and jalapeno. I moved last fall and didn't have time to do lots
of different ones. Even if I pick a small cayenne or jalapeno, they are
still hot tasting.

Hope this answers your question.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina

Old 22-08-2003, 06:04 AM
Grandpa

Sounds a lot like the Anahiem variety that we grow in NM. If picked
green, roasted and peeled its nice and hot - I mean tasty. If left
until it turns red its usually milder, but not always. I've had some
red/yellow/orange ones that made my toes curl.

Old 23-08-2003, 03:12 AM
Pam Rudd

When last we left our heros, on Thu, 21 Aug 2003 06:30:23 GMT,
Bobbett scribbled:

I bought what I *thought* was a cayenne pepper plant from a nursery
earlier this season. I'm in zone 6 (NJ). The plant *finally* produced
some peppers, but they're still green and getting bigger every day!
Right now they're almost 9" long. I doubt very much these are (red)
cayenne peppers. Since they're probably not going to change from green
to red, how will I know when they're ripe to pick?

All peppers ripen beyond green, most to red or yellow. You can
eat them green, I suppose; but haughty sniffCivilized People
Eat Ripe Peppers. Of course, these are cayennes we're talkin'
about, and it's not as if they have much flavor.

As to the kind, there are bunches and bunches of varieties of
cayenne peppers. I can think of several off the top of my head -
Dragon's Claw, Elephant Trunk, Salsa...something - that can
get that long.

Pam

---

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
--Benjamin Franklin

Hot hot hot hot! PC Australia 1 10-01-2010 11:38 AM
Pepper Pepper who's got the Pepper? Dan L. Gardening 2 04-04-2007 07:32 PM
African hot pepper question riverman Plant Science 5 09-05-2006 05:08 PM
Hot pepper's not hot?? Pepperqueen Gardening 2 13-08-2004 03:23 PM