GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Banana squash? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/41115-banana-squash.html)

Repeating Decimal 22-08-2003 05:42 PM

Banana squash?

I am growing banana squash hydroponicly. One member of this group, I am
sorry I do nor remember who, said that one can expect only one good squash
per plant. So far, I have nothing to dispute that. Several other squash set,
but the either came off when touch or rotted in place.

I decided to see what would happen if I waited. The plant continued to grow.
It produce many male flowers but no incipient squash. The mail flowers
attracted HONEYBEES, more than I had seen in one place during the past few
years. New leaves started to grow.

I decided to remove old leaves to allow light to hit new growth, again just
to see what is happening. So far, nothing much.

Bill

Pat Meadows 22-08-2003 06:02 PM

Banana squash?

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 16:37:12 GMT, Repeating Decimal
wrote:

I am growing banana squash hydroponicly. One member of this group, I am
sorry I do nor remember who, said that one can expect only one good squash
per plant. So far, I have nothing to dispute that. Several other squash set,
but the either came off when touch or rotted in place.

I decided to see what would happen if I waited. The plant continued to grow.
It produce many male flowers but no incipient squash. The mail flowers
attracted HONEYBEES, more than I had seen in one place during the past few
years. New leaves started to grow.

I decided to remove old leaves to allow light to hit new growth, again just
to see what is happening. So far, nothing much.

If it only grows one squash, it hardly seems worth it, does
it?

Is it a particularly delicious squash or otherwise unique?

Pat

Repeating Decimal 22-08-2003 08:42 PM

Banana squash?

in article , Pat Meadows at
wrote on 8/22/03 10:00 AM:

If it only grows one squash, it hardly seems worth it, does
it?

Is it a particularly delicious squash or otherwise unique?

According to the seed packet, it was a small version that only got to be
about 12 pounds. picked at about three. It was good.

My experiment, however, is not over.

Bill

Pat Meadows 22-08-2003 09:02 PM

Banana squash?

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 19:36:28 GMT, Repeating Decimal
wrote:

According to the seed packet, it was a small version that only got to be
about 12 pounds. picked at about three. It was good.

My experiment, however, is not over.

Keep us informed, please. :)

Pat