GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   what is "Vitaminna"? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/41289-what-vitaminna.html)

hort-4 24-08-2003 10:02 PM

what is "Vitaminna"?

hi,
saw recent post,
harvesting lettuce
I'm growing a Japanese plant called Vitaminna that would be a good thing for
adding to a mesclun mix, for example. And don't forget mustard greens! ...
rec.gardens.edible - Jul 10, 2003 by Larry Blanchard

when I google "Vitaminna", I get Finnish ? results

if I re-spell "Vitamina", I get Spanish ? results

thx...

Pat Meadows 24-08-2003 10:22 PM

what is "Vitaminna"?

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 13:53:02 -0700, "hort-4"
wrote:

hi,
saw recent post,
harvesting lettuce
I'm growing a Japanese plant called Vitaminna that would be a good thing for
adding to a mesclun mix, for example.

I also grew Vitaminna this spring. I thought it was
excellent in stir-fries. I think the baby plants would have
been fine for mesclun mix too, but I let it get large and
used it for stir-fries. It's a very FAST plant, seemed to
mature in no time.

I bought the seeds from Kitazawa Seeds.

Pat

hort-4 25-08-2003 01:22 AM

what is "Vitaminna"?

is it another cabbage/bok Choy relative?

wrote:

hi,
saw recent post,
harvesting lettuce
I'm growing a Japanese plant called Vitaminna that would be a good thing

for
adding to a mesclun mix, for example.

I also grew Vitaminna this spring. I thought it was
excellent in stir-fries. I think the baby plants would have
been fine for mesclun mix too, but I let it get large and
used it for stir-fries. It's a very FAST plant, seemed to
mature in no time.

I bought the seeds from Kitazawa Seeds.

Pat

thanks.
tried web search for kitazawa but I found only this
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/janm/11068x.html

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/asianveg/

leads to

http://216.239.57.104/search?sourcei...%2Fthes-00.htm

no

http://www.ahs.cqu.edu.au/info/scien...ictionary.html
but
Your search - site:www.ahs.cqu.edu.au AsianVeg/ vitaminna - did not match
any documents

http://hortiplex.gardenweb.com/plants/nph-ind.cgi
Search the HortiPlex Database
There were no matching listings

anyone have pix including flowers?

Pat Meadows 25-08-2003 01:02 PM

what is "Vitaminna"?

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 17:14:58 -0700, "hort-4"
wrote:

is it another cabbage/bok Choy relative?

Yes. It is. It's a darker green than most, almost looks
like Swiss chard. It has a form similar to chard too:
loose leaves on stalks.

I think the darker color - and the extreme speed with which
it grows - are its chief claims to fame.

Sorry, forgot to include the URL for Kitazawa in the first
message: http://www.kitazawaseed.com/

They don't yet sell from the web, but there's an email
address on the website and they'll be happy to send you a
catalog if you email them. I received a catalog and emailed
my order in - easy enough. If you are more
security-conscious than I and don't wish to put your credit
card number in an unencoded email (not a good idea, really,
I won't do it again) you could phone an order in.

On the whole, their prices are higher than Evergreen, but
they have some seeds that Evergreen doesn't carry (such as
the Vitaminna). I also got a Fluffy Top Chinese cabbage
from them, and it's a real winner: a stunning plant. Just
lovely. (Bear in mind that I consider most of the garden
vegetables beautiful when healthy and well-grown....)

Pat