GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Banana squash news (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/41603-banana-squash-news.html)

Repeating Decimal 29-08-2003 07:02 AM

Banana squash news

About two weeks ago I posted that I only had one banana squash grow on a
plant. I harvested it, and it was delicious. I am growing it hydroponicly in
a grower similar to a General Hydroponics power grower.

I trimmed away the browning leaves while leaving the new green growth in an
attempt to get new fruit to set. That technique appears to be working. At
least two new squash have set. I will se if only one develops at the expense
of the other.

Bees and fruit flies just love the blossoms. Often, a bee, ands sometimes
two, seem to make the blossom their home away from home. I have no idea what
the blossom does to attract them.

Bill

Pat Kiewicz 29-08-2003 02:02 PM

Banana squash news

Repeating Decimal said:

Bees and fruit flies just love the blossoms. Often, a bee, ands sometimes
two, seem to make the blossom their home away from home. I have no idea what
the blossom does to attract them.

If they are squash bees, what they are doing is...well, what birds, bees and
even educated fleas do...

They are solitary ground-nesting bees, and they meet each others at the
squash blossoms.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)