Old 29-08-2003, 04:12 PM
Brian Braun

Default Drilling holes in compost barrel

I have two barrels I got from my local Saturn dealer. They had car
washing solution in them, are of the 55 gallon size and are opaque
white plastic.

I want to use at least one for a compost barrel after a thorough
rinsing,. I have the hardware to install a hinged lid and will roll it
around every few days to mix the contents.

The one thing I am not clear on is where and how many holes to drill.
The advice I have read says to drill holes but I have not seen the
deatails. Specifically:

(1) Where? Top and bottom? The sides or both?

(2) What size holes?

(3) How many?

Any feeedback will help me get this up and running this weekend.
Old 29-08-2003, 08:42 PM
Andy Petro

The holes should be about one inch on the sides and the bottom You cannot
drill too many of them!

Old 29-08-2003, 11:02 PM
Penny Morgan

You should drill the holes all around the sides of the barrel and on the
bottom. I wouldn't put any on the top because you won't be able to control
the amount of water that penetrates when it rains heavily. As far as how
many, try to get as many as you can for air circulation. The holes should
be small enough so the crumbs don't fall out. Think of the size of the
holes of a colander holding spaghetti (the size of a ladybug or smaller).
You could do double lines of holes around the bottom sides, middle sides and
top sides (think of stripes going around the barrel like this
...===========). If you have more energy, put more holes.

Hope this helps.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina