Old 29-08-2003, 10:12 PM
Glenna Rose

Default Re(2): New to Group--Introduction and questions (long)

writes:

Its true though. You do not read a page from bottom to top in English..
The ONLY time when I top post is when replying to a short email to a
single friend where both the quoted ref and my reply are on the same
area of screen and likly to be when they read it too. But email and
USENET are 2 different things..

Though it is certainly best to respond after keeping *only* the portion(s)
relevant to your answer, there are times when top-posting can be
preferable.

Specifically I am thinking of a grief support group in which I was
involved. Unfortunately, many, many of the users were very new to the
'net and didn't know the basics of snipping the excess so the "top" could
get quite lengthy. That, in itself, was not an issue. However, we had a
blind participant that had to read through all the repetitive stuff to get
to what was meant for her. Sadly, even though I brought this to the
attention of the group in the form of asking the extra be deleted (with
instructions on how to do so and why!), it was, for the most part,
ignored. In that instance, I think it was more a concentration and
comprehension issue (keeping in mind these were people adjusting to a
horrible loss in their lives). We here, on the other hand, have most of
our wits about us g so it does seem logical to follow the usual 'net
protocol.

Honestly, I don't care, one way or the other, but do care if someone
leaves not a single line so we know what is actually being responded to!
Replies like, "Please provide more information" or "What variety is that?"
when there is absolutely nothing to reference it to in a thread of many
posts just seems plain silly.

I know many long-term usenet users (and count some among personal friends)
have some very strong opinions about it, and often I wonder how many of
them are as strong-beliefed about many things that rest of us do by
nature. Ain't it great we are all different and can each add a new
perspective on things for those who care to listen and consider?!

Top post (rather you didn't), bottom post (seems more logical), but say
what you really mean to say and hopefully it will be of interest to at
least some of us. (And occasionally make up a word to keep us on our
toes!)

Glenna

New member Introduction!! DabneyWalker Gardening 0 29-02-2012 02:11 PM
New Member - Introduction BobWalsh Gardening 6 27-12-2010 07:46 PM
Introduction and a few general questions :) Stargirl United Kingdom 1 10-05-2005 09:39 AM
Group introduction Steveo Lawns 4 25-12-2003 03:42 AM
New to Group--Introduction and questions (long) Marilee Edible Gardening 22 30-08-2003 04:23 AM