Old 30-08-2003, 07:12 PM
Noydb

Default tomato acidity

Previously I have been told that the need to acidify tomatoes before canning
was not dependent on the soil but on the variety and that the problem is
that many of the currently popular varities do not have enough acid of
their own.

This, then, begs the question of which varities DO supply sufficient
acidity. I am growing heirlooms this year and plan to continue
indefinitely. I would certainly be willing to plant varieties that
supported the end goal of not adding lemon juice but also not taking undue
chances with my family's health.

Does anyone know (or have a link for) high-acid tomato varieties?

Bill
--
Zone 8b (Detroit, MI)

Old 30-08-2003, 10:02 PM
Penny Morgan

I've never heard that tomatoes didn't have enough acid to justify open bath
canning. I've canned many different types (red only) and never gotten sick.
The only thing I've heard is that the yellow tomatoes are a LOWER acid than
red tomatoes. I think all tomatoes contain acid.

If you're still uncertain, why don't you contact Ball or Kerr and ask them?
These are two manufacturers of canning supplies and I'm sure they must have
some reference somewhere that indicates unsafe practices. Good luck and let
us know what you find.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina

Old 30-08-2003, 10:42 PM
Pat Meadows

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 20:43:50 GMT, "Penny Morgan"
wrote:

I've never heard that tomatoes didn't have enough acid to justify open bath
canning. I've canned many different types (red only) and never gotten sick.
The only thing I've heard is that the yellow tomatoes are a LOWER acid than
red tomatoes. I think all tomatoes contain acid.

Many tomato varieties are now considered to have
insufficient acidity for safe water-bath canning. Because
of this, the USDA recommends that all acid (lemon juice
usually) be added to all tomatoes to be water-bath
processed.

This can be avoided by pressure-canning the tomatoes.

See 'The USDA Complete Guide to Home Canning', which says -
in part -

---------------

Acidification: To ensure safe acidity in whole, crushed, or
juiced tomatoes, add 2 tablespoons of bottled lemon juice or
1/2 teaspoon of citric acid per quart of tomatoes. For
pints, use 1 tablespoon bottled lemon juice or 1/4 teaspoon
citric acid. Acid can be added directly to the
jars before filling with product. Add sugar to offset acid
taste, if desired. Four tablespoons of a 5 percent acidity
vinegar per quart may be used instead of lemon juice or
citric acid. However, vinegar may cause undesirable flavor
changes.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publication...n_guide_03.pdf

Pat