Old 02-09-2003, 05:02 PM
Mike Davis

Default Has anyone used "keyhole" beds?

I was going through an old copy of one of Mollison's Permaculture books and
he mentions keyhole beds. Has anyone here tried them and would like to share
their experiences, pros and cons, etc.?

Thanks!
Mike D.

Old 02-09-2003, 06:22 PM
Mike Davis

Hi Pat,

Two of Mollison's reasons for suggesting them that come to mind include:
1. Much smaller surface area used for paths than a traditional row garden.

2. Easier and less wasteful to water with circular pattern sprinkler.

I don't recall him mentioning aesthetics, but that could be a definite
"selling point" for some folks.

Mike D.

"Pat Meadows" wrote in message
On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 10:55:26 -0400, "Mike Davis"
wrote:

I was going through an old copy of one of Mollison's Permaculture books

and
he mentions keyhole beds. Has anyone here tried them and would like to

share
their experiences, pros and cons, etc.?

I haven't used them, although I have seen them recommended
in other places.

I can't quite see the point though, unless you want your
garden to surround an area of lawn and be decorative. I can
see them being decorative, especially if flowers are
interspersed with the veggies.

Does he give any reasons for their use (other than purely
decorative)?

Pat

Old 02-09-2003, 09:02 PM
len brauer

g'day mike,

we did a sheet mulch one as a projest when i attanded a pc course at a
local tafe. they would have application in a confined or limited area,
for me i stick to the straight raised beds system, a bit less work in
setting up and the same results if you have the space.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

http://hub.dataline.net.au/~gardnlen/
Old 02-09-2003, 11:42 PM
jfrost

No but Thank you for reminding me to.
I'll soon be building a bed for potatoes & will
try to remember !!!!

thanks
why don't you do it & take "Before & after " pictures,
& tell us what works & what might not??
would love to hear

thanks, jfrost

Old 03-09-2003, 01:13 AM
Mike Davis

Heh, heh, heh...

Oh well, this lazy gardener was hoping to learn from someone else's sore
back and calluses...

It appears that it may not work this time, I'll just have to make the
mistakes myself. But, as jfrost has suggested, before and after pics are
definitely in order...

I'll make a run to the store for Ben-gay ointment and aspirin when I pick up
the film before starting to dig. ;-)

Old 03-09-2003, 04:12 AM
tippy1

"Mike Davis" wrote in message

I was going through an old copy of one of Mollison's Permaculture books

and

he mentions keyhole beds. Has anyone here tried them and would like to

share

their experiences, pros and cons, etc.?

Thanks!
Mike D.

What, pray tell, is a keyhole bed?

--

Squire

Old 04-09-2003, 01:42 AM
Mike Davis

Take a look he http://www.permacult.com.au/noosa/keyhole_garden.html

It provides a very high-level overview.

M.D.

om...

Old 04-09-2003, 02:02 AM
David Hare-Scott

"Mike Davis" wrote in message
Hi Pat,

Two of Mollison's reasons for suggesting them that come to mind

include:
1. Much smaller surface area used for paths than a traditional row

garden.

This sounds good but I am yet to see any justification for it in
Mollison's books or elsewhere. Many of his ideas on geometry are fine
bt some like this one seem to have no proof. If I have missed this
somewhere please advise where to look.

2. Easier and less wasteful to water with circular pattern sprinkler.

Which may be so but if you want efficient watering you don't use
sprinklers but soakers or droppers instead.

Old 04-09-2003, 02:02 AM
David Hare-Scott

"Pat Meadows" wrote in message
On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 12:18:24 -0400, in rec.gardens.edible
"Mike Davis" wrote:

Hi Pat,

Two of Mollison's reasons for suggesting them that come to mind

include:
1. Much smaller surface area used for paths than a traditional row

garden.

Ah. Well, almost *anything* has less surface area for paths
than a traditional row garden!

Do you have any justification for this, in particular that keyhole beds
have less path area than rows? I am not trying to start an argument - I
want to know. It does not seem to me that Mollison proves this point at
all.

David

Old 04-09-2003, 01:32 PM
Frogleg

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 19:35:51 -0400, "Mike Davis"
wrote:

Take a look he http://www.permacult.com.au/noosa/keyhole_garden.html

It provides a very high-level overview.

Very high-level, indeed. The expanded view of the 'diagram' shows
circular shapes and blobs that could be trees, bushes, paths, plants
-- who knows?

I note "· Circular shape gives maximum internal area for least
circumference." Say, what?

"· Discourages straight row planting=reduction in pests." I guess I'm
not keeping up with research. Had no idea that planting in rows
attracted more pests than planting in circles or spirals or animal
shapes.

"· Increases edge effect. A natural accumulation point for mulch &
nutrients." Another new fact(oid).

I can certainly see how it could be *pretty*. If one has a circular
space to grow in, there's no reason things couldn't be arranged to fit
the area with a radial rather than parallel layout. Maybe *that's* the
(unstated) basis of the plan -- if one has a confined area rather than
a big rectangular plot in the middle of a field, a circular/radial
layout may be a good idea. And many may not have considered the
possibility. A circular arrangement in a square space, however, will
exclude approx. 22% of the area available.

Old 04-09-2003, 07:42 PM
Mike Davis

That's interesting, how did you end up going with that shape bed, rather
than the more traditional one?

What do you grow in them, perennials or annuals, or a mix?

Mike D.

Old 05-09-2003, 08:02 PM
Seamus Ma' Cleriec

"Mike Davis" wrote in message

I was going through an old copy of one of Mollison's Permaculture

books
and
he mentions keyhole beds. Has anyone here tried them and would like

share
their experiences, pros and cons, etc.?

Thanks!
Mike D.

The bed was the result of removing an above ground pool with a sand
bed. We have veryt clay soil here so I rotoilled the sand under with
some leaves. The shape derives from it being a Italianate/knot herb
garden which gradually eveolved into a veggy/herb/flower garden.
Veggys and some herbs are annuals, flowers and some herbs are
perrenial. I very lazy and don't like weeding - thus I keep a heavy
straw/pine needle mulch on the whole thing, digging it under each
spring.
Works great.