Old 05-09-2003, 12:13 PM

Default colonnade apple trees...anyone tried em?

strark bros nursery (http://store.starkbros.com) carry a variety of
minature and dwarf fruit trees that seem to be ideal for ppl with limited
space to grow fruit. i'm not associated with them...just very interested
in growing fruit in limited space.

the colonnade apple they sell trees grow in a column form and get to be 2
feet wide and 8 feet high, and stark claims that that they can be grown in
containers.

the pictures in their catalog of the trees and fruit look great...but them
how much does that mean ;-)).

anyone here ever grow these and or have any information on fruit quality and
tree hardiness? general comments on miniature and dwarf trees would be
appreciated
Old 06-09-2003, 07:16 AM
Julie

anyone here ever grow these and or have any information on fruit quality and
tree hardiness? general comments on miniature and dwarf trees would be
appreciated

Yep, have two of the North Pole variety. I'm in the Seattle area,
and these are in pots that are on my patio year round. I average
about a half dozen apples on each plant (would be more fruit if I
planted them in the ground, I am told), normal size, in late
Sept. This year, unfortunately, the squirrels have taken them
all.

There are some photos he

winter, apples on either end, dwarf peach in center
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/View...p=60247498&f=0

mid season
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/View...p=61160393&f=0

in fruit
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/View...p=60247816&f=0

I bought them, and my other dwarf fruits (orange, peach) from
Raintree
http://www.raintreenursery.com/catal...les%2DColumnar

--
Julie