Old 06-09-2003, 02:32 AM
Aria

Default Tomatoes

It's very strange, I have a beautiful tomatoe plant. It's green and lush.
Grows wonderfully. The only problem is it has only grown one not so good
tomatoe. What am I doing wrong????
--
Kathy Olson
http://www.desertdogs.biz

Old 06-09-2003, 03:49 AM
Steve

Two possibilities come to my mind right off.
1. Too much shade.
2. Too much fertilizer.
I would think others will add to that short list.

Steve

Old 06-09-2003, 05:33 AM
Steve

Hmmmm, I didn't think of that. I've never had that happen but in looking
again, I see Kathy is in Tucson. That is a very long way from the
Adirondacks where I live.
Kathy, were you getting lots of flowers that fell off without producing
a tomato?

Steve

Old 06-09-2003, 06:03 AM
TCS

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 17:31:11 -0700, Aria wrote:
It's very strange, I have a beautiful tomatoe plant. It's green and lush.
Grows wonderfully. The only problem is it has only grown one not so good
tomatoe. What am I doing wrong????

using too much fertilizer?
nighttime temperature too high for the type of tomatoes you're growing?
no bees/insects to set blossoms?

Old 06-09-2003, 06:13 AM
Aria

Yes, Steve....Tons of flowers...........high temps most of the time. These
tomatoes said that they do best in humidity. We had very dry temps at first,
but then lots and lots of humidity. Very pretty flowers though....We also
grew watermelon that never grew fruit. It also had lots of flowers.

t...

Old 06-09-2003, 06:42 AM
Steve

Well, that would be the problem I guess. I know tomatoes don't set fruit
when it gets too hot. That's a problem I'll never see unless I move some
day.
I'm pretty sure some varieties are more heat tolerant than others. If
anyone else in the neighborhood is getting good tomatoes, ask them what
kind they grow. You may still get some good tomatoes on your plant when
the weather starts to cool a bit more.

Steve

Old 06-09-2003, 04:42 PM
DigitalVinyl

"Aria" wrote:

Yes, Steve....Tons of flowers...........high temps most of the time. These
tomatoes said that they do best in humidity. We had very dry temps at first,
but then lots and lots of humidity. Very pretty flowers though....We also
grew watermelon that never grew fruit. It also had lots of flowers.

I recall reading a book that recommended in areas with extreme high
temp and harsh sun to lay a piece of trellis on top of your tomato
cage to give them a break from the peak overhead sun. I was surprised
since tomatoes are full sun--but maybe you are in a climate where it
is too intense.

Do you have lots of pollinators visiting the plants?
Although, I've read constantly that a simple shake of the plant is
enough to encourage selfpollination. I shake the tomato cage lightly
once a a week and I've harvested 7 dozen so far from 3 plants (one has
been suffering from wilt since June).

Fertilizing wrong (too much nitrogen not enough phosphorus/potassium)
can screw up the fertility of the plant. I messed up all my corn with
the wrong mix of fertilizer.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener
Old 08-09-2003, 08:42 PM
hawk

OK, I have the same problem. Lots of blossoms but they just dry up and
fall off. I tried some spray on stuff that is supposed to cure that
problem with no success. My near by mint bush and rose bush have lots of
bees, so I don't think pollination is the problem. In past years three
tomato bushes produced more tomatoes than we could eat. Sacks full given
away, etc. This year one bush has produced a few tomatoes and one bush has
produced exactly ONE tomato. (I only planted two bushes this year because
of the huge production in past years.) My area is a desert so I have
complete control over water and I haven't changed my watering schedule. I
have never had this problem before, same garden location, same amount of
sun, same temperatures, same fertilizer, etc.

I wonder if the variety could be the problem. Better Boy, both plants. I
meant to get two different varieties as is my usual practice but somehow
ended up with two Better Boy, which I haven't tried before.

Any help would be appreciated. This year is a loss, but I hope for better
success next year.

Regards, hawk

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 21:17:18 -0700, Aria wrote:

Yes, Steve....Tons of flowers...........high temps most of the time.
These
tomatoes said that they do best in humidity. We had very dry temps at
first,
but then lots and lots of humidity. Very pretty flowers though....We also
grew watermelon that never grew fruit. It also had lots of flowers.

t...

Old 08-09-2003, 09:02 PM
Pat Meadows

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 11:34:42 -0700, hawk
wrote:

OK, I have the same problem. Lots of blossoms but they just dry up and
fall off. I tried some spray on stuff that is supposed to cure that
problem with no success. My near by mint bush and rose bush have lots of
bees, so I don't think pollination is the problem. In past years three
tomato bushes produced more tomatoes than we could eat. Sacks full given
away, etc. This year one bush has produced a few tomatoes and one bush has
produced exactly ONE tomato. (I only planted two bushes this year because
of the huge production in past years.) My area is a desert so I have
complete control over water and I haven't changed my watering schedule. I
have never had this problem before, same garden location, same amount of
sun, same temperatures, same fertilizer, etc.

Tomatoes are (wholly or largely) self-fertile - that is,
each flower fertilizes itself. So the problem is not likely
to be lack of bees or other pollinators - I don't think
pollination is the problem either.

Weather conditions would certainly be a possibility - too
hot, too cold. Both are possibilities, I believe.

I wonder if the variety could be the problem. Better Boy, both plants. I
meant to get two different varieties as is my usual practice but somehow
ended up with two Better Boy, which I haven't tried before.

I'm growing Better Boy this year too and I'm not really
terribly impressed with it, but we've had a LOT more
tomatoes per plant than you have. I haven't counted, but
we've been giving them away in basketfuls (plus eating a lot
of them, and drying a lot of them too).

The reason I'm not impressed with it is the lack of flavor:
although this might be unfair to Better Boy. We've had an
exceedingly wet year and this is supposed to 'water down'
the flavors.

Nevertheless, I'm not going to grow it again.

Pat