GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tales of a novice gardener (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/42377-tales-novice-gardener.html)

Leslie 07-09-2003 12:22 PM

Tales of a novice gardener

This being my second vegetable garden to include more than tomatoes, I
anticipated a plentiful crop and imagined drying and canning tons of foods
planted, tended, and harvested by me alone. It must have been a dream. I had
a section of what I thought at first were pumpkin plants. I dutifully
transplanted them to spread them out. Initially I put them in among the corn
because my mom said pumpkins will grow up the stalks and do well that way.
Then I remembered that the pumpkin seeds I had bought were the extremely
large jack-o-lantern kind. Re-transplanted them so they wouldn't pull the
corn over. Didn't matter in the end since my ever-helpful 3-year-old twin
boys yanked up all but 4 corn stalks along with the carrots. When the
"pumpkin"plants got a few inches tall I thought they were cucumbers,
thinking that my boys had spread some of the seeds in a spot I didn't
notice. Hmm, they grew and got fruit on them that almost looked like
watermelon. Watermelon?? I didn't buy watermelon seeds! Must have been the
compost. Then a texture developed that was unmistakebly canteloupe. Ah-ha!
Definitely the compost. I had a lovely compost bin full of several years
worth of food and yard scraps. We must have eaten a ton (give or take a few
pounds) of canteloupe during that time, so that's where those seeds came
from. So my pumpkin-cucumber-watermelon-canteloupes are doing great. Nice
looking fruit. I love canteloupe. Then along come my boys. They brutally
tore off 10 or so of the melons and tossed them in the compost bin. As I
inspected them there, I also discovered they had picked probably 30
very-green tomatoes. Next year I'm building a fence around my garden. Oh,
did I tell you my beets didn't grow at all? I do have yummy tomatoes, the
ones that are allowed to ripen. Off to read more of my organic gardening
book. I'm going to master this gardening stuff one of these years.

Leslie

Frogleg 07-09-2003 01:02 PM

Tales of a novice gardener

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 03:16:15 -0700, "Leslie"
wrote:

[...]

Build a fence around the twins! Gads, the damage done by squirrels,
deer, rabbits, and birds pales in comparison. Any chance of getting
them interested in the magic of growing plants (and the joys of
*completely ripe* fruits and veg)?

My 'compost surprise' this year is several healthy-looking potato
plants. I doubt there'll be much production, as it's quite late in the
season. Cantaloupe *does* seem to love a compost pile.

Leslie 07-09-2003 06:02 PM

Tales of a novice gardener

wrote:

[...]

Good idea! Last year wasn't as bad, though they did pick tomatoes. I
thought, surely they'll not do this kind of damage when they're older. I was
wrong.

Gads, the damage done by squirrels,
deer, rabbits, and birds pales in comparison. Any chance of getting
them interested in the magic of growing plants (and the joys of
*completely ripe* fruits and veg)?

They love helping me plant things. Sometimes I regret showing them how
though, since they dug up a bunch of marigolds that were in my garden and
transplanted them to another area.

My 'compost surprise' this year is several healthy-looking potato
plants. I doubt there'll be much production, as it's quite late in the
season. Cantaloupe *does* seem to love a compost pile.

My mom always had volunteer plants growing in her garden. I guess it's just
kind of a nice surprise if you get something that actually produces.

Leslie

Glenna Rose 07-09-2003 06:12 PM

Tales of a novice gardener

writes:
I'm going to master this gardening stuff one of these years.

Sounds like about ten years, when the 4-year-old twins are 14-year-old
teens.

Me thinks that, then, mastering the garden will be easy but about the
twins? We'll be positive and believe these early garden exploits will
head them in the direction of gardening.

I admire your ambition in raising twins *and* a garden!!!

Glenna
who needs to be laid back when her 2-year-old and 4-year-old
granddaughters are traipsing through the garden to help pick

Leslie 09-09-2003 08:32 PM

Tales of a novice gardener

"mixter" wrote in message
too funny! thanks for the chuckle.

Glad I could give you a laugh! I, OTOH, was not laughing when most of this
happened. Now I am, but definitely some other words were forming on my lips
instead of "Ha Ha." ;-)

Leslie

mixter