GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   planting rasberries this late (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/43481-planting-rasberries-late.html)

Steve Sagerian 19-09-2003 02:42 PM

planting rasberries this late

I want to plant a couple varieties of rasberries for next year. I live
in zone 5 near chicago. Would it be to late to plant them in the next
week or so?

thanks in advance...

Steve

simy1 19-09-2003 07:02 PM

(Steve Sagerian) wrote in message . com...
I want to plant a couple varieties of rasberries for next year. I live
in zone 5 near chicago. Would it be to late to plant them in the next
week or so?

thanks in advance...

Steve

you will be fine. They will spread, so make sure you plant them in the right place.

Monique Reed 19-09-2003 07:42 PM

simy1 wrote:

you will be fine. They will spread, so make sure you plant them in the right place.

I must be cracked. When I read this, I thought, "And the right place
would be right next to the shortcake bush, so dessert will be easy to
make next summer."

TGIF!
Monique in College Station

Dwayne 20-09-2003 04:17 AM

planting rasberries this late

You might try what I did with blackberries. I planted them in a row 4 or 5
feet apart, ran a piece of PVC along the row with holes drilled in the right
spots to water each plant. Then I rode the mower up and down 10 feet along
both sides of the row to keep the invasive roots from sending up plants
where I didn't want them.

Planting now will give the roots all winter to get extablished before
spring. Go for it.

Dwayne

Frankhartx 21-09-2003 01:22 AM

planting rasberries this late

(Steve Sagerian)

I want to plant a couple varieties of rasberries for next year. I live
in zone 5 near chicago. Would it be to late to plant them in the next
week or so?

Planting now is OK.

Incidentally the correct name is raspberry--named for the resemblence of the
fruit to a rasp--a carpenters wood file.

Ken Anderson 22-09-2003 04:03 AM

planting rasberries this late

"Steve Sagerian" wrote in message
om...
I want to plant a couple varieties of rasberries for next year. I live
in zone 5 near chicago. Would it be to late to plant them in the next
week or so?

thanks in advance...

Steve

Are you talking about digging up someone's actively growing raspberries to
plant on your property? If so, I don't think it will work. I would wait
until they go dormant in a few weeks, then do it, or wait til spring.
Ken A.

H Hornblower 22-09-2003 01:02 PM

planting rasberries this late

A couple of weeks ago at a yard sale, an old guy came out with
a cup of raspberries. I asked about growing them so he took me out
back and yanked a root out and gave it too me. It has a leaf now. I
looked it up and figured it was probably "Heritage" , a fall bearing
type. I found one left over sickly looking "Heritage" at a discount
store and planted that too. I pick one berry off it yesterday,