Old 22-09-2003, 06:02 AM
Stephen Younge

Default preparing (tomatoes0 for first frost in Colorado Front Range

Hello:

I've been pulling a few pounds per week of tomatoes off of my plants. This
is my second year growing. Last year, I didn't make any preparations for the
first frost, and I ended up yanking green tomatoes off the vine in the
middle of a snowstorm. They were frozen, and ruined, by the time I got them
inside.

What should I do this year to ensure that I get the most out of my tomatoes
as we lead up to the first frost? I feel like it could come at any time...
is there any kind of hotline?

Cheers,
Stephen

Old 22-09-2003, 12:02 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Stephen Younge said:

Hello:

I've been pulling a few pounds per week of tomatoes off of my plants. This
is my second year growing. Last year, I didn't make any preparations for the
first frost, and I ended up yanking green tomatoes off the vine in the
middle of a snowstorm. They were frozen, and ruined, by the time I got them
inside.

There was probably not much you could have done (by covering your tomatoes)
in the face of a snowstorm, except to have started picking the potentially ripenable
sooner.

What should I do this year to ensure that I get the most out of my tomatoes
as we lead up to the first frost? I feel like it could come at any time...
is there any kind of hotline?

When the predicted lows get below 40 degrees, I start to check for frost and
freeze advisories. On clear, still nights I can get frost at the bottom of the
yard even when the actual low is 37 degrees F.

I usually check theWeather Channel online for frost and freeze advisories. (Mind
the line wrap.)

http://www.weather.com/maps/activity...ezeadvisories_
large.html
--
Pat in Plymouth MI (someplace.net is comcast)

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 22-09-2003, 02:22 PM

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 03:48:57 GMT, "Stephen Younge"
wrote:

(Follow-ups trimmed to rec.gardens.edible)

What should I do this year to ensure that I get the most out of my tomatoes
as we lead up to the first frost? I feel like it could come at any time...
is there any kind of hotline?

Your local weather forecast should give you a warning. I
use:

http://www.wunderground.com

Short of covering your tomato plants at night (usually not
practical), you can pick all the green tomatoes and bring
them in the house.

Any that show the slightest bit of ripening should ripen in
the house (for the most part - a few will probably go
rotten). I spread mine out in a single layer - as many as I
have room for.

Those that are totally green can be used to make green
tomato relish, or as a substitute for tomatillos in salsa
verde, or fried green tomatoes.

Pat
--
To email me, remove the obvious word,
and type my first name in its place.

Old 22-09-2003, 06:42 PM
J. Del Col

"Stephen Younge" wrote in message news:Jiubb.545475$uu5.90682@sccrnsc04...
Hello:

I've been pulling a few pounds per week of tomatoes off of my plants. This
is my second year growing. Last year, I didn't make any preparations for the
first frost, and I ended up yanking green tomatoes off the vine in the
middle of a snowstorm. They were frozen, and ruined, by the time I got them
inside.

What should I do this year to ensure that I get the most out of my tomatoes
as we lead up to the first frost?

Pick them before it frosts, maybe now if they are big enough.
Listen to NOAA radio or the Weather Channel, and act accordingly.

Anything elaborate to protect them against frost probably won't do much
to increase yield, at least not enough to justify the effort and time involved,
and you run the risk of losing them all if it gets colder than you thought it would.

J. Del Col
Old 22-09-2003, 10:02 PM
simy1

(Pat Kiewicz) wrote in message ...

When the predicted lows get below 40 degrees, I start to check for frost and
freeze advisories. On clear, still nights I can get frost at the bottom of the
yard even when the actual low is 37 degrees F.

I usually check theWeather Channel online for frost and freeze advisories. (Mind
the line wrap.)

http://www.weather.com/maps/activity...ezeadvisories_
large.html

I do the same, but one other thing I do is try to squeeze in seed
broadcasting or transplanting ahead of a rainstorm. Yesterday I seeded
the last arugula, spinach and tatsoi, and today we must have gotten
well over an inch (I am guessing 1.5). No reason going by a set date
if then you have to water every night - seeding ahead of a good soak
makes all the difference.

Old 23-09-2003, 09:02 AM
gregpresley

If a minor frost is expected, you can throw towels, sheets, newspapers, etc
over plants - that's when the low might be predicted to be between 31- 35.
Anything colder than that, and you are best off picking everything and
setting all the fruit on a warm windowsill to ripen.
Stephen Younge said:

[...]

http://www.weather.com/maps/activity...freezeadvisori
es_
large.html