Old 23-09-2003, 07:43 AM
Jack Melano

Default Requesting Peanut Info

Would welcome any info about
planting/growing/harvesting/preparing
peanuts... including where to obtain
plants, when to plant, etc.

Thanks much...
Jack Melano

Old 24-09-2003, 05:04 AM
Bill Wilson

depends on where you are located. I'm in south AL, I buy raw peanuts and
shell them and plant the nuts. Or if you plant early enough, you can plant
the whole thing, shell and all. The shell will rot away. Then in october
here, we use a middle buster through the rows and pick 'em.

Old 29-09-2003, 02:12 PM
Frogleg

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 19:55:37 -0700, Jack Melano
wrote:

Would welcome any info about
planting/growing/harvesting/preparing
peanuts... including where to obtain
plants, when to plant, etc.

Peanuts require a long hot growing season. You can get seed peanuts
for commercial/large operations, but any ol' raw peanut will produce a
plant. They are *fascinating*. I always thought peanuts grew on the
roots, but nooo. The plants (quite attractive small bushes) have
pretty yellow flowers which send out a sort of narrow tongue that
dives down to the dirt. Peanuts form undergound from this shoot.

This site has some interesting information:

http://peanutvan.com.au/growing.htm

Googling on "growing peanuts" turned up this and many other