GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What do you do with the worm? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/43981-what-do-you-do-worm.html)

James 24-09-2003 11:02 PM

What do you do with the worm?

Well some of my fruits and vegetables have worms.

Do you eat everything worm and all for the extra protein?

Cut out the worm?

Cut out any part the worm might have been?

Cut out half?

Toss the whole thing because you had a bumper harvest?

Steve 25-09-2003 02:02 AM

What do you do with the worm?

James wrote:

Well some of my fruits and vegetables have worms.

Do you eat everything worm and all for the extra protein?

Cut out the worm?

Cut out any part the worm might have been?

Cut out half?

Toss the whole thing because you had a bumper harvest?

Any one of your choices is reasonable depending on the situation, your
mood, and, perhaps, the size of the worm. :-)
Try to deal with wormy fruit in a way that doesn't let the worm winter
over and come back to haunt you with offspring next year. I guess eating
it would be one of those ways.

Steve

[email protected] 25-09-2003 01:12 PM

What do you do with the worm?

On 24 Sep 2003 14:57:53 -0700, (James)
wrote:

Well some of my fruits and vegetables have worms.

Do you eat everything worm and all for the extra protein?

No.

Cut out the worm?

Yes.

Cut out any part the worm might have been?

Yes.

Cut out half?

No.

Toss the whole thing because you had a bumper harvest?

If I had more than we can eat fresh, more than I want to
preserve for winter (freeze or dry), and more than I can
give away ... *then* I'd throw away the whole thing.

We took a big laundry basket full of zucchini and pattypan
squash and a somewhat smaller basket full of tomatoes to our
local Food Bank this week. Someone else had brought a huge
bag of Swiss chard and a farmer had a pickup truck full of
small potatoes parked outside, and was giving away bagfuls
of them to anyone who wanted them.

So you can give away a whole lot if you can track down where
and when your local Food Bank meets (this wasn't easy in our
case).

You could make a sign 'Wormy but good apples' or something
to that effect - I'd be happy to have some! I'd make
applesauce from them.

Pat
--
To email me, remove the obvious word,