GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Moving red plum tree (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/44015-moving-red-plum-tree.html)

Joe 25-09-2003 05:09 AM

Moving red plum tree

I want to move my 2 year old red plum tree to another house I am building. I
live in Illinois. Is it OK, even though the leaves have not yet fallen to
heavily prune the tree and ball and burlap it for later planting in the
early Spring? I plan on keeping the ball moist.
Thanks for your opinions.

Steve 25-09-2003 04:42 PM

Moving red plum tree

Put off digging it as long as possible. The closer it gets to dormancy,
the better your chances.

Steve

Dwayne 26-09-2003 06:12 AM

Moving red plum tree

Yes, what Steve said. I would, however, plant it this year and allow the
roots to get settled in before next year. You can prepare the hole and fill
it with water a couple of times. Then plant the tree and make sure it
doesn't get dry over the winter.

Dwayne

t...