Old 23-01-2003, 12:24 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Default rapsberry pruning???

Chester Deja said:

I planted new rapsberry stock last year. One July bearer (Red
Latham?) which flourished great but produced no fruit

Typical, as they don't fruit on this year's canes, but the ones that
started growing last year.

You should thin and prune back the canes that grew last year.

I usually wait until the buds just start to break to prune (so I can
see what's winter-killed or not). In future years, remove any
two-year-old canes (the one that bore fruit in summer); they are
dead and will not bear again. (I usually only do this the next spring,
too, with the thinning and pruning. The old, dead fruiting canes are easy
to recognize.)

and an
everbearer (yellow 'Gold'' rasberry) which did not grow too well but
still produced fruit up till and past first frost.

Usually people cut them to the ground after the canes are dormant. But
you will miss out on a possible summer crop from them, and as far as
I can tell, you do not make much of a dent in the fall crop by doing so. In which
case, you prune and thin the fall-bearing canes and remove the two-year-old
canes which fruited (for the second time) last summer.

A friend of mine cuts all his canes off near the ground because they
will not produce the second year.

Fall-bearers that I have grown *will* produce a summer crop, in addition to
the fall crop, if you prune them like summer-bearers. Maybe thin them a
little more than you would your summer bearers, if you are worried about
the size of the fall crop.

Good luck, and hope for dry weather when the berries are coming ripe!
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 23-01-2003, 02:54 PM
Dan Mazerolle

I am not sure about your everbearing as I have never grown them.

However, your July bearing should be trimmed in height to about 4 feet.
Higher than that and they tend to fall in the wind and heavy rain. Last
year's new wood is what will produce berries this year so don't remove too
many. Next year you will remove all canes that have produced this year.

Old 25-01-2003, 01:42 AM
Beecrofter

On your gold everbearers what you do is prune out the canes which bore
your first crop. The new canes will bear your fall crop and the
following spring and are then removed. You can wait until late summer
of fall.
Easy to tell old canes are brown new canes are green.
Keep a fist's distance between
Also keep a sharp eye for raspberry cane borers which will girdle the
top 6" or so and then bore down the cane. Catch em as they happen and
prune below the girdling.

[IBC] Root Pruning, and Top Pruning Brent Walston Bonsai 4 01-07-2004 11:02 PM
Root Pruning, and Top Pruning Andrew G Bonsai 0 30-06-2004 01:05 PM
Pruning Artemisia Polar Gardening 2 01-04-2003 05:56 AM
pruning questions rosemarie face Gardening 6 04-02-2003 07:50 AM
Hibiscus pruning T.L.Miller Gardening 0 26-01-2003 01:54 PM