Old 23-01-2003, 12:28 PM
Frogleg

Default Pomegranate seeds

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 08:32:42 -0500, "Chovhani"
wrote:

My children saved some pomegranate seeds a few weeks ago, and forget about
them. I found them behind the computer, still slightly sticky but almost
dry, and two have tiny shoots. I'd like to take a shot at growing these,
just for fun, and I wonder if there are any special tips or should I just
experiment? I happen to have a bag of cactus compost in hand, which would
seem like a good medium. Any suggestions?

What fun! Google on 'pomegranate germination' and 'pomegranate
cultivation' and I'll bet you find something useful.
Old 23-01-2003, 02:20 PM
Chovhani

I'm in Canada, we have winters that would kill it but good hot summers. If I
plant it in a large pot later on and bring it in in winter, will I get
fruit?

--
Melanie
http://www3.sympatico.ca/melanie.boxall

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
(Frogleg) writes:
| On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 08:32:42 -0500, "Chovhani"
| wrote:
|
| My children saved some pomegranate seeds a few weeks ago, and forget

about
| them. I found them behind the computer, still slightly sticky but

almost
| dry, and two have tiny shoots. I'd like to take a shot at growing

these,
| just for fun, and I wonder if there are any special tips or should I

just
| experiment? I happen to have a bag of cactus compost in hand, which

would
| seem like a good medium. Any suggestions?
|
| What fun! Google on 'pomegranate germination' and 'pomegranate
| cultivation' and I'll bet you find something useful.

Don't really need it. Cactus compost isn't ideal, but they should
certainly grow in it - a better material might be half of that and
half of ordinary compost. Don't get it waterlogged and don't get
it too badly frozen, but otherwise they are very tough. They can
lose all their leaves if they dry out, but will regrow.

I keep neglecting mine and it recovers. If I do a bit better, I
may get flowers, but the UK is too cold (in summer) for fruit.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:

Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679

Old 23-01-2003, 04:13 PM
vsiddali

Some time ago I spilled some pomegranate seeds in the patio between
the house and the garage. Many sprouted and became plants. I live in
the Northern suburb of the Nations capitol. Every winter they would
die and then come back in spring and summer with long thorns and
beautifull leaves. They were about 3' high when I decided to
remove(gee long main root) them and put them elswhere. Looked like
couple of them were doing alright but I am not sure they will survive
this winter colds in the field.

I had bought one as a houseplant which went out in the summer, came
back into the house when it got cold. That produced beuatifull
flowers and even couple of fruits (not very big though and not
edible). The only problem is the mealey bugs got to the plant as long
as it is in the house. Unfortunately I forgot to bring that in this
winter and lost that as well.

[IBC] Pomegranate Louis Brooks Bonsai 16 02-02-2005 01:18 AM
[IBC] pomegranate bonsai seeds Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 2 30-12-2003 02:33 AM
[IBC] Pomegranate seeds john heller Bonsai 0 26-11-2003 06:22 AM
pomegranate bonsai seeds Wil Harper Bonsai 0 13-11-2003 11:22 AM
[IBC] Pomegranate training Henrik Gistvall Bonsai 3 03-03-2003 02:39 PM