Old 29-09-2003, 11:12 PM

Default Possible Frost Tonight

Possible frost here (northern PA) tonight. The weather
forecast is for high 30s, but that's 55 miles away and at
least 1000 feet lower than we are.

We picked: 6 cukes, 3 small pattypan squash, 1 large
zucchini, a lot of chard (frost won't hurt it, but it just
needed to be picked), tomatoes, and a lot of green beans,
and masses of sage, curly parsley, and flat-leaf (Italian)
parsley.

I brought the rosemary plant in for the winter.

I've been blanching and freezing most of the afternoon. The
herbs will be wait in the fridge until morning, and then
I'll get them into the dehydrator for drying.

Growing in the garden and won't mind frost: chard, Chinese
cabbage, kale, lettuce. That's all I got planted for a fall
garden, we thought we were moving and I didn't have the
heart to plant more at the time.

I have more chard, more lettuce, some Vitaminna (Asian
green) and baby bok choy coming along in little 6-cell
packs, they can get transplanted out to the garden whenever
I have time. I don't know if they'll have time to produce a
crop before real hard cold sets in - they probably will.

If we do have frost, I'll miss the tomatoes!

Pat
--
To email me, remove the trap and type my first
name in its place.

CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States: http://www.stopthehunger.com/
International: http://www.thehungersite.com/
Old 30-09-2003, 02:32 AM
Steve

The word snow appeared in the forecast for the first time this year.
They don't mention that 4 letter word on the Weather Channel so I'm
going by them. That was for Thursday. Our closest TV station is 70 miles
away and 1500 feet lower elevation, but they do mention us in their
forecast. They are the ones who mentioned snow.
I brought in a big basket of ripe and nearly ripe tomatoes tonight. If I
believe it will really freeze later this week, I'll bring in lots more,
including some green ones. We WILL make to to October 1st without frost
so this is a winning year. :-)

Steve in the Adirondacks

Old 30-09-2003, 05:04 AM
Grandpa

Hmmm, high today had to be in the upper 80's, current temp (8:50pm) 75º,
low will be in the low to mid 60's. Snow, water, rain, moisture, not in
Albuquerque. Drier than a popcorn fart here.

Old 30-09-2003, 01:05 PM
Frogleg

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 20:52:01 -0600, Grandpa jsdebooATcomcast.net
wrote:

Hmmm, high today had to be in the upper 80's, current temp (8:50pm) 75º,
low will be in the low to mid 60's. Snow, water, rain, moisture, not in
Albuquerque. Drier than a popcorn fart here.

Don't knock it. All you need is water. Rain is best, but now that
August's gone...get out the hose. No mildew; no blackspot on roses;
long hot spells for tomatoes and peppers. And that sky over the
mountains -- no 'white days' of horroble haze and humidity. Cooler in
shade; cool at night; perspiration evaporating instead of clinging
stickily to the skin. Enjoy!
Old 30-09-2003, 02:32 PM

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 00:28:09 GMT, Steve
wrote:

We WILL make to to October 1st without frost
so this is a winning year. :-)

We will too - no frost last night.

Pat

Old 30-09-2003, 08:02 PM
Tina Gibson

In Thunder Bay, ON we had not only frost on Sunday night but also last night
and SNOW this morning. Flowers are looking awfully sad. And so am I - it is
unseasonably early for snow..

Old 30-09-2003, 09:02 PM
Grandpa

The roses sure do like the cooler weather. They bloomed nicely during
the heat of the summer (this year was exceptionally hot) and seem to
love it now. New stems popping up all over them and a fresh round of
blooms, 3rd this year. I think they like the chicken manure mix & water
I gave them tooG.

My tomatos did terrible, those in the direct sun. Our MinPins love
tomatos and I think they helped spread the seedsG. Several popped up
amongst the flowers and produced like crazy in the shade of the other
flowers. Not so in the sun.

Old 30-09-2003, 09:02 PM

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 08:30:44 -0700, Larry Blanchard
wrote:

Pat, just for info, your munged address still causes a load on your ISP
because the right part is valid. It would be better to modify the second
part such as: " or the like. That way the spammers
mail never gets to your ISP.

It's a virtual-domain and I have no way of knowing if - for
example - someone else is using 'pasture.pair.com'.

Then it would be someone else's problem..... not nice.

Pat

Old 01-10-2003, 12:23 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Ross Reid said:

We're almost due North of Erie, PA.
Heavy frost here last night. Matter of fact, it's now 9:15 AM and the
grass is still white where it's in the shade. I'm afraid it's curtains
for the tomatoes and eggplant that were still left in the garden.

I pulled all my ripest squash yesterday. There is a chance of a freeze
overnight tonight -- with no warm weather to follow any time soon.

Oh well. Going to prep a bed for garlic this weekend.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 02-10-2003, 06:42 AM
Phaedrine Stonebridge

In article ,
(Pat Kiewicz) wrote:

Ross Reid said:

We're almost due North of Erie, PA.
Heavy frost here last night. Matter of fact, it's now 9:15 AM and the
grass is still white where it's in the shade. I'm afraid it's curtains
for the tomatoes and eggplant that were still left in the garden.

I pulled all my ripest squash yesterday. There is a chance of a freeze
overnight tonight -- with no warm weather to follow any time soon.

Oh well. Going to prep a bed for garlic this weekend.

I just did the same today.... maybe an early frost tonight here as well.
I picked nearly ten pounds of the zuchetta trombonici or however you
spell that lol. We only planted them in August and never dreamed they'd
do this well. So I will be making a nice batch of zucchini pickles in
the AM as well as shredding & freezing the last of my Raven hybrids.

I also picked nearly another bushel of chiles and sweet peppers. LOL...
I think maybe next year I may plant a few less. My freezer is bursting
with them already. There were also ten small eggplants with tons more
little ones on the plants. Tons of green tomatoes which we really do
not care for pickled (yet anyway). There were only a few black-eye peas
left and the limas were few with tons of beautiful foliage--- hmmmmm.
That should not have happened. We also feasted on the last of the
raspberries which are still going strong. The parsnips and carrots are
still going strong.

And speaking of garlic, we like to spread ours around the various
planting beds of flowers as another deer deterrant.
Old 02-10-2003, 11:02 AM
EV

Phaedrine Stonebridge wrote:

In article ,
(Pat Kiewicz) wrote:

Ross Reid said:

We're almost due North of Erie, PA.
Heavy frost here last night. Matter of fact, it's now 9:15 AM and the
grass is still white where it's in the shade. I'm afraid it's curtains
for the tomatoes and eggplant that were still left in the garden.

Sorry to hear it. Here in Zone 6 southern Ontario, it's 40 F at the moment,
but I know that frost is coming. Some of the tips on my tomatoes look at bit
nipped. I'm just crossing my fingers that I get to them before the big one
hits. Such a short season. Hardly got any tomatillos, which is very
disappointing. Last year I had 'ice raspberies' on October 24th. Looks like
it'll be way earlier this year. Sigh.

I pulled all my ripest squash yesterday. There is a chance of a freeze
overnight tonight -- with no warm weather to follow any time soon.

Oh well. Going to prep a bed for garlic this weekend.

Me too. Try to dig out all that horseradish that came back from last year. I
did not know until just recently how invasive it is. They should put a
warning on the label!

I just did the same today.... maybe an early frost tonight here as well.
I picked nearly ten pounds of the zuchetta trombonici or however you
spell that lol. We only planted them in August and never dreamed they'd
do this well. So I will be making a nice batch of zucchini pickles in
the AM as well as shredding & freezing the last of my Raven hybrids.

I'm freezing sack of san marzanos and assorted green tomatoes now. Going to
make a cayenne pepper tincture using vodka as a solvent. I want to see how
it'll work as instant heat in soups, stews and such.

I also picked nearly another bushel of chiles and sweet peppers. LOL...
I think maybe next year I may plant a few less. My freezer is bursting
with them already. There were also ten small eggplants with tons more
little ones on the plants. Tons of green tomatoes which we really do
not care for pickled (yet anyway).

We make a tasty green tomato/sweet pepper relish that's great on hot dogs
and hamburgers. It's from an old canning and preserving book with lots of
farm recipes. But even still, I'll be giving alot of green tomatoes away
(not an easy thing to do) and composting the rest. Sigh.

There were only a few black-eye peas
left and the limas were few with tons of beautiful foliage--- hmmmmm.

Sad.

That should not have happened.

Nature's not fair!

We also feasted on the last of the
raspberries which are still going strong. The parsnips and carrots are
still going strong.

And speaking of garlic, we like to spread ours around the various
planting beds of flowers as another deer deterrant.

I wish it deterred squirrels.

Ether