Old 30-09-2003, 11:50 AM
Registered User

Location: london
Question green figs

Hi, We have had a fig planted in our garden (london). The fruits are getting quite large (3inch long), are softening up a bit. They are green & pear shaped.
How can I tell when or if they are edible ?
Many thanks
Old 30-09-2003, 02:12 PM
Bruce Yates

Default green figs

I have the brown turkey variety which will turn brown when fully ripe.
They are edible when they are still green but getting soft. Just like
any fruit the riper they are, the sweeter, but figs tend to go from
ripe to over ripe complete with fruit flies very quickly. I just had
to experiment the first year to see when mine were prime for picking.
Having some that are still somewhat green mixed in with ripe fruit are
best for making jelly. If you have a problem with fruit flies, pick
while still green but softening and they should ripen on the counter
in a day or two.

Bruce

Old 30-09-2003, 06:22 PM
Frogleg

wrote:

Hi, We have had a fig planted in our garden (london). The fruits are
getting quite large (3inch long), are softening up a bit. They are
green & pear shaped.
How can I tell when or if they are edible ?

Pick one and cut it open. My local vairety is green outside, and rose
and white inside when quite ripe for eating or jam. 3" long and
softening sounds ripe-ish to me. I ate a couple of much smaller figs 2
weeks ago that were quite pleasant.

[IBC] Figs? On a Green Island Ficus Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL Bonsai 12 26-12-2003 12:32 PM
figs Judy Cosler Edible Gardening 2 01-09-2003 04:03 AM
Figs DScott Texas 5 06-07-2003 02:32 AM
figs and birds John Savage Australia 11 05-04-2003 06:35 AM
Brown Turkey figs? Jane Edible Gardening 6 05-02-2003 03:11 AM