Old 30-09-2003, 05:02 PM

Default Goals for next year?

What are your gardening goals for next year?

Mine go like this. (We're in one of the colder areas of
zone 5, in northern PA, in the mountains.)

Goals:

1. To produce all the veggies and salad stuff we eat year
round (by extending the season with a hoophouse and row
covers, and by freezing, drying, or canning) - EXCEPT winter
squash, sweet corn, and maybe potatoes and onions and
carrots.

I haven't space enough to grow winter squash or sweet corn,
and I can buy potatoes, onions, and carrots reasonably year
round. I'll grow *some* potatoes, onions, and carrots but
won't be able to grow a whole year's supply.

2. To grow some of our fruit. We planted blueberries,
blackberries, raspberries, rhubarb and gooseberries this
year. We'll probably plant more blueberries next year, and
maybe a fruit tree or two. And a kiwi vine or two, *if* I
can get a friend to build a strong trellis for them (he
builds beautiful trellises/arbors). I'd like to put
strawberries in next year too.

3. I have a goal of eating something fresh from the garden
every single day of the year. By dint of using the big bay
window ledge to grow mini-tomatoes (etc.) indoors in winter
- as well as by season-extension with a hoophouse - I can
accomplish this without too much difficulty.

4. In addition, I have a goal of producing $500 profit from
the garden next year, $1000 the year after next, and
$1500/year thereafter.

We haven't enough room for to do this by selling fresh
veggies (low profit margin), but I *might* be able to do it
by selling miniature vegetable plants, herb plants, started
vegetable plants, and started perennial flower plants. I
will certainly try.

We're living on a minute, fixed income (health problems) so
meeting these goals would make a very, very substantial
contribution to our welfare and standard-of-living. Even
meeting the first two goals will help a lot.

The same health problems that keep us from working, however,
often make it difficult for us to meet gardening goals. But
I think we can do it.

What are *your* next year's gardening goals?

Pat

--
To email me, remove the trap and type my first
name in its place.

CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States: http://www.stopthehunger.com/
International: http://www.thehungersite.com/
Old 30-09-2003, 08:02 PM
Tina Gibson

wrote in message

[...]

My goals for next year:

1. To product more tomatoes - only got 10 x 1L jars of spaghetti sauce this
year - and to only grow Romas. Nobody likes the cherries except the
in-laws - why waste the space.

2. To plant before June 30th. This year short growing season becuase I was
afraid of frost warnings - should've at least planted the root crops.

3. To plant more dill.... there is never enough

4. More peppers - cut down this year and only got a bushel - not enough for
a decent roasting sessions - but enough for the spaghetti sauce..

5. Grow enough potatoes for a yr - did this last yr. Such a late start this
yr didnt' work out.

6. Re-establish all the herbs I lost in last yrs deep freeze. Lost alot of
herbs I have had for yrs.

7. Clean up the front flower bed - it was a mess this yr.

Oh there are so many things I would like to do.....but these are the main
ones.

Old 30-09-2003, 09:02 PM

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 17:48:36 GMT, "Tina Gibson"
wrote:

My goals for next year:

1. To product more tomatoes - only got 10 x 1L jars of spaghetti sauce this
year - and to only grow Romas. Nobody likes the cherries except the
in-laws - why waste the space.

2. To plant before June 30th. This year short growing season becuase I was
afraid of frost warnings - should've at least planted the root crops.

3. To plant more dill.... there is never enough

4. More peppers - cut down this year and only got a bushel - not enough for
a decent roasting sessions - but enough for the spaghetti sauce..

I didn't get enough peppers this either, and not enough
eggplants. Next year, I plant more of both. Broccoli also:
I didn't plant *nearly* enough broccoli.

5. Grow enough potatoes for a yr - did this last yr. Such a late start this
yr didnt' work out.

I don't know where you are, but we had a terribly wet spring
and if you'd planted potatoes early on here, they would
probably have just rotted in the ground.

6. Re-establish all the herbs I lost in last yrs deep freeze. Lost alot of
herbs I have had for yrs.

Oh dear. Such a shame.

Pat

Old 01-10-2003, 02:27 AM
Phaedrine Stonebridge

In article ,
wrote:

We're living on a minute, fixed income (health problems) so
meeting these goals would make a very, very substantial
contribution to our welfare and standard-of-living. Even
meeting the first two goals will help a lot.

Thanks for sharing your goals. I am amazed how well organized you
are. On a rare occasion of TV watching (while I was seeding a peck of
chiles), I happened to catch Martha Stewart yesterday. She was visiting
a certified organic farm (Four Season Farm) up in Maine near the coast.
Here is some information and some pics:

http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jh...Type=tvradio&c
atid=cat16935&id=tvs8607

They grow a lot of "designer" veggies which seems to help their business
a lot. And they practice intensive gardening methods, claiming to
produc in one acre what regualr gardens get in six acres. Impressive if
true. I was also struck by their 8 large hoop-houses (quite large
ones), only two of which are at all heated and then just to keep from
freezing. Both owners have written books, neither of which have I read.

We currently have a cold frame but are considering a small (cheap)
greenhouse or hoop-house to extend the growing season a bit more. In
years past, we always had spinach in a cold frame in the winter and it
was always fabulous. It was also great for getting an early start too.

Our goals for the coming year include expanding our gardens some more by
making better use of the space we have and by selection of better
cultivars. Over the winter, I think we will build some demountable
trellises to aid in growing many of the things that like to climb. We
will still make yse of our tripods but will try some other methods,
especially for the peas. We might also dig a new 4 x 50 bed and do some
terracing in the steeper sections of our yard to pick up some useable
space there.
Old 01-10-2003, 05:22 AM
simy1

"Tina Gibson" wrote in message news:Uljeb.40371$O85.33286@pd7tw1no...

1. To produce all the veggies and salad stuff we eat year
round (by extending the season with a hoophouse and row
covers, and by freezing, drying, or canning) - EXCEPT winter
squash, sweet corn, and maybe potatoes and onions and
carrots.

I have lots of hoophouse experience, so if you need advice just ask.
(I won't see your reply unless you change your archive setting though)
There are lots of greens that will take 10F for prolonger periods
without
dying. You have to figure out if you want to water under the hoophouse
(it gets very dry, even in winter. But if you leave a hose outside it
will burst, at least here). I water maybe twice during the three
coldest months, and only the overwintering lettuce and arugula which
needs it. The radicchio goes down three feet if established and gets
water from there. Not watering virtually eliminates winter weeds.

I haven't space enough to grow winter squash or sweet corn,
and I can buy potatoes, onions, and carrots reasonably year
round. I'll grow *some* potatoes, onions, and carrots but
won't be able to grow a whole year's supply.

Because the deer leave them alone, I grow potatoes in trash parts of
the yard (places I don't want to mow, for example). I cover with wood
chips, and let nature take its course. Low yields, mostly partial sun
locations, but no work. I am mentioning all this so that you may
consider growing potatoes in places other than your garden, ifspace is
at a premium. It is good to have potatoes. When I have them, I eat
very little other starches.

Also, if you don't have a lot of spce, you should consider planting
high yield veggies. Corn, high yield, it ain't.

You could also consider overall nutritional value. It ultimately
affects your quality of life by keeping you strong. Probably minerals
and vitamins are only part of the story - somehow, beets and Concord
grapes make me feel very well, even though they are not all that
nutrient rich - however, greens tend to top the charts of nutritional
content. And, they are also the hardiest of veggies.

2. To grow some of our fruit. We planted blueberries,
blackberries, raspberries, rhubarb and gooseberries this
year. We'll probably plant more blueberries next year, and
maybe a fruit tree or two. And a kiwi vine or two, *if* I
can get a friend to build a strong trellis for them (he
builds beautiful trellises/arbors). I'd like to put
strawberries in next year too.

If you are going to grow fuzzy kiwi, they will produce tremendously
and last you through the winter and are also very healthy (three times
the Vit C of an orange, and as much salicilic acid as an aspirine).
But they are a lot of work, watering and manuring. Hardy kiwis don't
last nearly as long, though. And it takes forever before they start
bearing.

3. I have a goal of eating something fresh from the garden
every single day of the year. By dint of using the big bay
window ledge to grow mini-tomatoes (etc.) indoors in winter
- as well as by season-extension with a hoophouse - I can
accomplish this without too much difficulty.

I found that the best yield indoors is from pea shoots. I usually
start them in early december and grow them until I need the window
space for seedlings in february. You can buy low quality peas in bulk
for the purpose, and they are cut and come again.
The next best, of course, are sprouts.

4. In addition, I have a goal of producing $500 profit from
the garden next year, $1000 the year after next, and
$1500/year thereafter.

We haven't enough room for to do this by selling fresh
veggies (low profit margin), but I *might* be able to do it
by selling miniature vegetable plants, herb plants, started
vegetable plants, and started perennial flower plants. I
will certainly try.

I think it can be done. There are books on backyard gardening for
profit, and you should talk to local nurseries.

We're living on a minute, fixed income (health problems) so
meeting these goals would make a very, very substantial
contribution to our welfare and standard-of-living. Even
meeting the first two goals will help a lot.

I hope you succeed. When we eat particularly well from the garden, I
tell my wife that we live like kings. And nothing keeps me as strong
and as healthy as a little garden work and huge salad from the garden
each night. It is great that certain pleasures are available to all.

Old 01-10-2003, 03:02 PM

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:57:44 -0500, Phaedrine Stonebridge
wrote:

They grow a lot of "designer" veggies which seems to help their business
a lot. And they practice intensive gardening methods, claiming to
produc in one acre what regualr gardens get in six acres. Impressive if
true. I was also struck by their 8 large hoop-houses (quite large
ones), only two of which are at all heated and then just to keep from
freezing. Both owners have written books, neither of which have I read.

That's Eliot Coleman and his wife (Barbara Something). I
have Coleman's book 'The Four Season Harvest' and consider
it *very* valuable for anyone wanting to extend their
season.

Coleman's coastal climate in Maine is probably about
equivalent to our mountain climate in Pennsylvania, and if
he can harvest all winter from an unheated hoophouse, I
should be able to do so as well.

We currently have a cold frame but are considering a small (cheap)
greenhouse or hoop-house to extend the growing season a bit more. In
years past, we always had spinach in a cold frame in the winter and it
was always fabulous. It was also great for getting an early start too.

We have all the materials for a 10' x 24' hoophouse and
*still* haven't started building it. Hopefully, we'll get
this done in October. I hope. I really need it next
spring! knocks on wood, crosses fingers We have the
materials for a cold frame too.

Pat

Old 01-10-2003, 03:12 PM

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 09:47:22 +0100, Kae Verens
wrote:

I want to grow more potatoes.
I have already dug out the paths for several new raised beds.
I am starting with intensive gardening (planted garlic already in
optimal distances from each other)
I want to start experimenting with the harvesting of courgettes - how
much harvesting, at what stage, produces the best yield, etc.
I want to grow tomatoes that ripen naturally in the garden (I'm in
Ireland (where you won't find any eggpants)).

How about 'aubergines' ?

Could you grow your tomatoes in an unheated hoophouse?
That's what I'm planning to do next year as our summer
nights get very chilly: tomatoes don't enjoy that.

Pat

Old 02-10-2003, 01:03 AM

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 22:50:45 +0100, Kae Verens
wrote:

btw: I'm on a high. My first child was born two days ago - 9 pounds 5
ounces, or 4.22 kg. great little guy. Jareth Verens. He has great
fingers - will be good at guitar, programming, and fiddling with small
plants.

Congratulations! And a fine big lad he is, too.

Pat

Old 02-10-2003, 03:02 AM
Steve

Pat wrote:

........ Eliot Coleman and his wife (Barbara Something). I
have Coleman's book 'The Four Season Harvest' and consider
it *very* valuable for anyone wanting to extend their
season.

Coleman's coastal climate in Maine is probably about
equivalent to our mountain climate in Pennsylvania, and if
he can harvest all winter from an unheated hoophouse, I
should be able to do so as well.

I was lucky enough to get to hear Eliot and his wife in person. They
gave a talk on how they grow all year long using a movable hoop house.
Interesting talk from interesting people.
If you ever meet Eliot in person, what ever you do, don't ask him "what
about the story that greens grown in cold weather have too much nitrogen
in them to be healthy?" Someone asked him a question about like that
and he got a little riled up. His answer convinced me that there is
nothing to worry about but it's been too long to remember exactly what
he said.

Steve in the Adirondacks

Old 02-10-2003, 06:32 AM
Phaedrine Stonebridge

In article ,
Steve wrote:

Pat wrote:

[...]

Well what I want to ask him is how he deals with all the mercury
contained in the kelp he and Barbara harvent from the beach for use in
providing trace elements to their gardens. I bet that might have the
same effect lol.