Old 24-01-2003, 06:21 AM
Nicole H

Default Weed suppressors, was corn gluten meal question

That's how you do it!!!!!! Thanks for the tip!!!!

--
Nicole
SUPPORT THE USE OF BLOODHOUNDS/SCENT-DISCRIMINATING SEARCH DOGS -- TO HELP

"Mahasamatman" wrote in message
hlink.net...
When using plastic mulch, you can still plant seeds after the mulch is

down.
Just cut a half-moon in the mulch with a trowel or knife and plant the

seed
underneath the resulting flap.

--
Sam

"tmtresh" wrote in message
om...
My favorite weed suppressor is newspapers. Seperate all the glossy
inserts, you won't want to use them. Just wet the newspapers and place
them one layer thick, then cover them with enough dirt so they don't
blow away when they dry, paying particular attention to the edges.
When planting seeds, just place along the rows, or carefully place
them around plants. Very few weeds come up, and they can be tilled
under to add to the soil for next season. (For newspapers, the ink is
usually soy-based, so 100% biodegradable).

Nicole H wrote:

How do you use the plastic when planting seeds? I garden at an

elementary
school and would love to put plastic down in all the plots. It's a

huge
weedy mess if the classes don't keep up with it.

Mary McHugh wrote:
The plastic works well for stuff planted in rows. Obviously it's not
going to work for scattered seed. I buy the stuff that's 3'wide and

20'
long. It's about $3 for that sized package. My garden is long and
narrow so I tend to plant in long rows.

For things that have significantly smaller rows or more difficult
spacing, I use a thick mat of grass clippings instead. This has the
added benefit of adding organic matter to the soil at the end of the
season.

Corn Gluten Meal as a preemergent against weeds - llll ZoysiaSod Lawns 1 20-03-2012 09:04 AM
Corn Gluten Meal as a preemergent against weeds - llll ZoysiaSod Lawns 0 15-02-2012 11:55 PM
Corn Gluten Meal steven North Carolina 1 22-04-2007 06:38 PM
Corn Gluten Meal Jangchub Texas 0 25-11-2006 02:14 PM
corn gluten weed killer in pellet form? Chris Campbell Gardening 15 25-03-2003 12:56 AM